• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Westbury Wallaby Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizKirk

Reaction score
Another find in my late father's prolific workshop.

Anyone interested or can help me put a resale value on it? The kits are still available from Hemingways at £340 or £220 castings only!

Liz

P1010719.jpg

P1010718.jpg

engine has new loving owner more eye candy more casting fondling
ah s#% ts going back to a teenager 60 years young
I remember reading about ET westbury as a young lad and being fascinated by his talent
now have kitty wake, kitty hawk ,sealion. and now wallaby
some retirement machining time hopefully

Silly question: Are you sure that is a Wallaby? It looks suspiciously like Westbury's earlier 1831 engine. Externally the major clue is the 1831 was cast in bronze in order to give the Locomotive extra weight for traction while the later Wallaby was cast in Aluminium as the intent was to use the engine in boats.

Jo

But the design is exactly the same.

Yes it is the same basic design as the majority of the differences are caused by the use of the Aluminium castings as the Wallaby requires additional liners, guides etc.

As well as the bronze castings that model has the drive dog used to start the Locomotive through a hole in the chassis. I am not sure if it has the auxiliary power take off on the end of the cam shaft as that is on the opposite end of the engine to the photographs. The other notable differences: advanced carb for accurate speed control and the anti-stalling clutch arrangement have not yet been made.

The 1831 engine is somewhat rarer (and hence to engine collectors more desirable) than the Wallaby :thumbup:

Jo

thanks folks for the info I now have the engine and the workmanship is great I were wondering about the brass castings as I have never seen a wallaby other than aluminium
so I now know its earlier than I thought the lady I purchased from gave me some history about her dad so its nice to have that as well
I have just purchased the drawings for the wallaby and mastiff
as I picked up an in finished one carved from the solid
un fortunately I will have to remake the crank on that one as the drillings for the oilways have come out through the webs quite a lot to do on that one and I may see if Hemmingway will sell the separate castings or complete set only
also received in the mail yesterday looks like a channel island special in water cooled but with open rockers and wrong carb
so I will try to find more info on that
but thanks again for the correct info on the engine

ebay1.jpg

Latest posts

Back