Werowance builds a webster

Discussion in 'A Work In Progress' started by werowance, Dec 27, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Aug 13, 2019 #241

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

If you have anything that can work to 5 decimal places, go for it. As a general rule, numbers used in mechanical drawings are rounded off to three decimal places, or even two, depending on the degree of accuracy required. Only very critical fits may be given a fourth decimal place, because most shops don't have machines that will work to such close tolerances. When you get the crankshaft set to 15 degrees, (before the piston reaches bottom dead center) the cam should be positioned so that the rocker arm is just touching the valve, but not lifting it yet.

2. Aug 14, 2019 #242

Mechanicboy

Mechanicboy

Mechanicboy

You can make a 15 degree angle of cardboard or plywood and place it on the crankshaft and set as the baseline is in parallel with the base of the motor, align the crankshaft and crankpin with line of 15 degree angle . Turn camshaft until the rocker arm touches the valve stem without opening the exhaust valve before attaching the gearwheel/flywheel to the crankshaft. tool 15.jpg

3. Aug 14, 2019 #243

werowance

werowance

werowance

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Hi Mechanic boy, I modified my crank to have counter balance weights so mine is not flat as the plans called for. but had I done it like that then yes I could have used my angle blocks and 123 blocks to get the proper angle. thanks for the input and hopefully someone else building this engine who does make it by the plans properly will see this and it will help them.

4. Aug 14, 2019 #244

Mechanicboy

Mechanicboy

Mechanicboy

Hi, Werowance. My engine has balance weight on crank, no problem --> Align the measure tool with the circle who are visible on crank shaft and let the crank pin lay on the measure tool before setting the cam and fastening.

5. Aug 14, 2019 #245

Bill Lawson

Bill Lawson

Bill Lawson

I dropped algebra when they told me That Pi are square and I was smart enough to know that pi are round. Enough of that, I too am building a Webster in my winter habitat. I don’t have the drawings with me, so I am following your progress with interest. I am not very keen on cross drilling the flywheel to secure it to the crank. I will if I have to, but I wondered if a small key way would work and the cam being a slip into the flywheel hub and secured with a small setscrew

6. Aug 16, 2019 #246

werowance

werowance

werowance

got the muffler made, next I realized I forgot to make the flywheel spacer as well as mill the flats on the piston wrist pin, and still need to make the carb adapter. getting close...
    upload_2019-8-16_11-10-5.png

upload_2019-8-16_11-10-31.png

upload_2019-8-16_11-11-10.png

Johno1958 likes this.
  7. Aug 16, 2019 #247

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Looking really good.--Brian

8. Aug 22, 2019 at 2:11 PM #248

werowance

werowance

werowance

very slow going lately, u joint on my trucks right front axle went out this weekend then after that I had a couple days fight with the dreaded "cant stay out of the bathroom" thankfully that's over with. anyway I managed to get the carb adapter done and started on the flywheel spacer last night.

upload_2019-8-22_9-9-54.png

upload_2019-8-22_9-11-47.png

9. Aug 22, 2019 at 2:55 PM #249

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

If it runs as good as it looks you are going to have a real winner there.--Brian