Werowance builds a webster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Cheers,
Andrew in Melbourne

Bob, what program do you use to run your cnc? I dusted my router off and had to load up another pc to run it last week and couldn't find the old windows program I used to use (cant even remember its name) so I started using linuxcnc to drive it. desk engrave doesn't seem to generate usable code for linuxcnc as the simulated tool path and even with a test dry run it only does a roughly 45deg line and stops. looked at some other text to gcode software and none of it was free that I could find. pluss deskengrave only does 1 line of text right? just wondering how well it worked for you and if you had any more insight or recommendations?

For engraving text, I use a freebie program called DeskEngrave. It's an old (Windows XP) program that still works for me. Takes either text you enter or a file and uses Windows fonts for the output. More info at http://www.machinistblog.com/deskengrave/ (just a random web search - I don't know the site)

For turning a jpeg into an engraving, I've used DeskProto, my CAM program. I can combine them both into one piece of work, but it takes a bit of calculating because the two programs don't talk. I use the file from DeskEngrave to do the text and DeskProto to do the figure.

For example, the lower receiver for an AR-15 I built.
View attachment 111613

I've only used it with Mach3 on a Windows PC. It seemed like pretty straightforward G-code. I don't have a LinuxCNC machine at the moment, but I do have a G-Code test program I could look at. I'll see if I can find a way to look at it.

I've only used it for simple one line things. I think I remember doing two lines by using two files.

Latest posts

Back