Werowance attempts Upshur Vertical Single

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost ready to try and start it. had to make a spark plug adapter, some solder tabs for the wires and condensor, a wirel hold down lug which i used a piece of brass and a piece of drill rod and pressed it to make the half moon in the center. all thats left is to set the points cam timing and adjust the valves. (will lock tight the carb and exhaust pipe in once those are set so its easier to work with having them removed right now)

1609258696670.png

1609258751399.png

1609258800350.png

welp. it runs

December 29, 2020 - YouTube

hope the video works. its a horrible video i know. and at the end i dont know if you can hear my wife say "eww it stinks" lol. it need alot of work and i need somthing better on the spark plug deffinately. but after 4 pulls with each i had pops it started up enough to adjust while running. the video was after that which still needs adjustng and work but wanted to capture it incase i blew it up or something.

one thing i would like to share with new builders. on the fuel tank, DO NOT do a side fill tank. sure offset the fill inlet to the left or right top but a side fill with 90 deg inlet is horrible. i like to have never got it filled even with a syringe. (turkey injector) i even cut the injector tip so the side holes were gone and it was just spraying out the tip only.

proplem is that it gets air locked. might see about getting one of those syringes with the plastic tip thats curved about 90 deg or so. i could also replace that end plate with another one and drill a fil hole and pipe on top to the side. much later work of course but didn want to forget to tell eveyone just how bad the sidefill is

Nice engine, ! sounds good. Congratulations !

It's alive ! What a great feeling when the finished project actually runs.

Runs and sounds perfect - great runner.

Regards, Ken

Congrats!
There is nothing like the feeling you get when the engine that you worked on for so long comes to life!
Scott

Thank you all for the good words. i appreciate it.

give it a couple more runs today for longer time and have an issue. the green locktight holding the exhaust pipe as well as the carb intake pipe is getting "greasy" when it heats up. once it cools it re-sets and is tight and hard again. both are sliding fit with just a little bit of a twist action to get them pushed in without lock tight. i went ahead and pulled the exhaust tube and cleaned it up and re-locktighted it. pulled it while it was hot and "greasy" feeling.

i hope i just did a bad job on the previous aplication but if not do you think jbweld would hold them in place?

Loctite really doesn't take much heat to give up it's "bonding" abilities. J.B. Weld sets and cures thru a totally different chemical reaction, so it might work for you. Don't use the J.B.Quick Weld. Use the original formula that takes 24 hours to fully cure.

Very nice, indeed. Do I see in the background the valiant bicycle that gave up its spokes for your project?

Thanks Brian, im going to give it another run after work and see if it holds before i do the lock tight. its had over night for the 2nd aplication of locktight to cure.

Latest posts

Back