Werowance attempts Upshur Vertical Single

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think its cheating if you get the desired result. I have a die filer at work that has come in very handy to make valve brackets. prior to that I was filing them by hand. If it was production it would probably be profitable to machine them but for a one off? Use a radius gauge scribe a line and sand to the line.
Art

The "rule" in parts built for customers, and parts for our own home hobby use is " If its critical to making the part work, aim for dead nuts accuracy.---If it's cosmetic, make it look good." To spend countless hours setting up to make a purely cosmetic feature is a waste of your time. ---Brian

yeah, hes pretty darn good with that sander, but my problem is that im not that good with lets call it coloring inside the lines, i always go to far or not far enough lol thus none of the corners would probably look the same. now where did i put my crayons :)

slow going but a little progress. locktighted the side and end plates together using 123 blocks and a square on my imporvisded surface plate and allowed to dry, turned it over and repeated with the other plate. once all dry i added some super glue for extra hold on the inside seams. then used a transfer punch as plans call for to mark my drill holes. then last night i drilled 1 plate and tapped the 4-40 threads on one side and called it a night.

the first photo shows me gluing the front plate on and the back plate held about half way up to keep the sides from falling in as the bottom was glued.

upload_2019-12-10_10-8-28.png

upload_2019-12-10_10-8-54.png

I must admit seeing how that is going together that I'm sort of glad that I didn't have that stock on hand. That does seem like a complicated process.
Art

I would file or use a sanding belt. If you want to keep the corners the same you may want to invest in a small set of radius gauges or simply make a one off gauge to keep the corners the same
I actually have a set of gauges but I just have bad luck with freehand sanding on the belt or disk table sander I have. I often don't get matching results even trying my best to follow the scribed lines. sort of what I was joking about "coloring outside of the lines" and the "crayon" joke I was making. but if the jig idea doesn't work out for me I will probably just freehand it anyway and try my best at it.

upload_2019-12-11_11-20-55.png

well heres 8 holes drilled and tapped. no drill or tap was harmed in this operation. although the drill did start to seize on one of the holes because I was hogging to much and not removing the drill enough to clear the swarf.

only 8 more to do - 4 on top and 4 on the bottom. then once all screwed together ill do the line drill it for the crank and cam shafts.

upload_2019-12-11_11-27-47.png

not able to be in the garage machining right now but do have access to cad so I thought id draw the insulator block for the points and try 3d printing it since it needs to be made from plastic anyway. its a small simple part and hopfully it will print good

upload_2019-12-12_10-40-21.png

upload_2019-12-12_10-40-39.png

I don't know that I have ever used 1215 cold roled steel before but it cuts pretty nice - not as nice as 12L14 but I like it. also leaves a finish as good as 12L14. and its a lot cheaper. I was going to use 1144 but they cancled my order stating that it was mislabeled in their bin and when they pulled it to cut it found out it was misslabled. so he gave me a good price on 1215. much cheaper than either the 1144 or 12L14 would have been.

Where do you get 12L15 that is a lot cheaper than 12L14? I hadn't realized such an alloy existed.

ebay. lowcostmetals was the person. I didn't realize it either. I just told them what I was doing and what I was looking for and they suggested 1215 (note there is no L in 1215) its not leaded but to me it cut every bit as easy and the finish it leaves was definitely as good in my opinion as 12L14

I didn't use his points set up. I made a cam to fit where his flat sided cam is. Then I made a disc that I mounted mid 70"s Nisson points on. That way I got the cam in the ball park and adjusted the disc with the points to fine tune. I dont know how close to Hamilton's design you are trying to keep it but, buying a set of points might simplify your life
Art

well i gave the belt sander a try. turned out ok. didn't realize just how small of a radius it was. marked it with my gauge and put it on the disk sander table
I then finished drilling and tapping then I soldered the cylinder on.
the photo of the cylinder appears to have not stuck to the steel however it did. it just all ran down and made a nice ring on the bottom side as there was just a tad bit of a gap for it to pool in. I made the soldering jig like plans called for and it was nice and flush against a smoothe block of aluminum so it didn't flow past and run all over the underside but just a full ring around the cylinder. I used the stay brite solder as per plans instead of silver solder. sill need to do some clean up on it though.
upload_2019-12-16_12-11-54.png

upload_2019-12-16_12-15-9.png

Looks good!

Don't know about you, but I find that trick is one where I get better with practice. A couple of corners on a piece of scrap right before I do the real one helps.

very slow moving. i cant seem to get more than 10 to 15 mins in the garage after work. i cant wait for next year to get here and everything go back to normal..... anyway i managed to get the crank shaft bearing holes drilled and reamed last night is all i managed to get done since Sunday.

upload_2019-12-19_9-59-39.png

Cutters are available to create radii. I have a couple of them for small radii, but for anything above about 3/16" I set up on the rotary table.
I have also used the X/Z locii method for both milling and turning. I don't find it tedious, but then I only machine parts when I feel like it. That way, every cut on every part is done in the right frame of mind. Never forget, this is a hobby and as soon as it feels like a chore, it's time to walk away and make a cup of tea, coffee or whatever you prefer.

i dont look at as a chore, i really enjoy it. but this time of year i am pulled in many different directions, some of those directions i do enjoy but most i would just rather be in the garage enjoying the peace and quiet - with the exception of hearing my equipment run is all. but yes i understand what you are saying. sort of like my rule of when i almost thorw a wrench across the garage in frustration then its time to step a way and walk for a while. i live in the country and have woods, mountains etc all right off my back yard pretty much. so a walk is my cup of tea usually

Last edited:
last night was much better. got the rest of those holes drilled, reamed, tapped etc. only 1 more hole to go on the side for the oil drain plug.

upload_2019-12-20_8-48-50.png

Yes it is the busy time of the year, but you are making progress.
Art

Latest posts

Back