• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Weld aluminum with a propane torch? (FOR SALE)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky961

Reaction score
I was recently at an auction, and picked up a few things (posts on this to come in the future). With the "everything on the bench and under the bench" statement of the auctioneer, I became the owner of this strange tube of metal rods. It would seem there were some things on the bench I didn't really need. :)

The picture isn't great. As you may have noticed from my previous posts, my camera sucks in the dark. The rods are clean, silvery, shiny on the ends, and slightly dull on the circumference.

ResizeofIMG003.jpg

So, here's a breakdown of what I have to offer:

Qty: 27
Length: 17 3/4"
Diameter: 0.120"/0.150" (they're oblong)
Tare weight: 50g (the clear plastic tube and ends)
Net weight: 945g (pretty darn close to 2 lbs)

Here are both sides of the instruction sheet that came rolled in the tube. If you're have problems reading these, email me and I can send you a better PDF version.

Of particular interest are the physical properties of the unidentified alloy:
Bonall Hardness: 475 Kg Load - 100
Bonall Hardness: 3200 Kg Load - 112
Melting Range: 690 to 725 Deg. F
NO FLUX

AluminumAlloyRod-Front.jpg

AluminumAlloyRod-Back.jpg

From what I can tell, what I have here sold for over $100 CAD not too long ago. I don't need these, so I'd like to open up the floor to bids starting at $25 CAD - buyer pays shipping, total to be paid by PayPal or cash. If there's no interest, I'll can let you know when they go to eBay and you can have a shot at it.

Thanks for looking...
-Brian

I forgot to mention that I'd also consider swapping/trading for tooling, equipment, or anything else you think I might be interested in as long as it's local or can be shipped reasonably.

Thanks!
-Brian

You don't have your location in your profile so I don't know what continent is local to you.

Sorry about that. I posted a while back giving my location, but I know it's hard to keep everyone straight on here. :)

I'm in Ontario, Canada - about 2 hours north-west of Toronto.

-Brian

Sparky,I use these rods from time to time to repair broken mufflers for rc airplane engines.Once you get the hang of it,they work very well.Pity I'm on the other side of the world,otherwise I'd happily have taken them.Hans.

Hans,

Is there any other information that you can provide on these, such as verifying the cost or the alloy? Any other uses that I may not have considered?

Considering what it appears they're worth, it would be a shame just to throw them into my next aluminum casting... :) Might be interesting to see the result though.

-Brian (Thinking I might just go by "Sparky" from now on. Seems there are already enough "Brian"s to keep track of)

Low temperature aluminum brazing rods have been around since the 1930s when auto body shops used them to repair the pot metal grills common in that era.

I have used it for many things with much success and some failures. There is a knack for successful use and failures are the result of improper use. The ones that I have used are indeed a strange material. The rod is softer than 6061 but after application it is too hard to file.

I think every flea market in North America has at least one dealer demonstrating this type of rod by 'welding' beer cans. The going price is $20.00/pound but the prices vary with the salesmen.

You said -"I don't need these, so I'd like to open up the floor to bids starting at $25 CAD" - ....Apparently youre not the packrat that I am. I marvel that you can be definately certain you dont need those rods, I would have to keep'em even if I thought I would never use them its good to have ways and means to do something if you just gotta...,

Alphawolf45 said:
You said -"I don't need these, so I'd like to open up the floor to bids starting at $25 CAD" - ....Apparently youre not the packrat that I am. I marvel that you can be definately certain you dont need those rods, I would have to keep'em even if I thought I would never use them its good to have ways and means to do something if you just gotta...,

My new signature should give an indication as to why I absolutely can't afford to be a packrat right now. :)

I'm sure that at some point in the future, I'll probably kick myself and say "why on earth did I get rid of those for so cheap?". But if I keep them, they'll just sit around on a shelf for years until they're auctioned off with my own estate. I'd much rather see them go to someone who has a real use for them.

-Sparky

The local guy that sells them at the motorcycle,auto engine shows is 18 rods $25.00 and $35.00 for 44 rods or sticks plus he throws in two of the cheap stainless wire brushes.
You can get smaller packs at any big box store and Horrible Fright is selling the same type of container. As they use to say they are everywhere now
the instruction sheets are pretty much the same as yours, only the name,price and location vary ;D

Ok, it seems to me that the general consensus is that these aren't worth as much as I thought - or you guys are just using some tried-and-tested negotiating tactics....

So, the price henceforth shall drop to $15 plus shipping. Much less than that, and I might as well try incorporating them into my next melt. :)

-Sparky

Back