Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I've been a long way coming to this forum. I have a Taig lathe and access to a Jet 6 x 20 Mill-Drill, and an Atlas 6 inch Lathe (that needs a rehab). I'm a member of the Melbourne Makerspace and assist the other members with their projects that deal with metal. By no means am I an instructor, but more of an assistant. I have worked in several Machine shops over the years, and openly try to give my acquired knowledge to those who desire to make something out of metal. I enjoy making things too.

Welcome to the forum from sunny Perth Jack. I've been meaning to check out a local makerspace but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hi, I'm a noob here, but not to the model Railroading community. I look forward to meeting new people and gaining valuable information from others from the live steam hobby.

Hi, I've been on other general home machinist forums but just came across HMEM, which is great. I am a model airplane guy, RC and some old school CL. I've had a few engines that needed a fix here and there, or missing a piston, and maybe I can figure out how to get them airborne, again. I have an Atlas 10" lathe that I have been upgrading, lately. Really, very beginner skills at this point but no reason not to jump right in, right? I also have a StepCraft 840 to get up and going - haven't set it up yet. I have a simple rough milling setup but will consider doing the right thing about upgrading capabilities there. Perhaps a benchtop milling machine.
Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete

Hi all,
New to this site well new to any engineering site. I have just purchased a lathe and some tooling and was looking for a project (because you have to have a project).
This site has more projects than you can shake a stick at so looks like staying with you a group of proper enthusiasts for years to come and hopefully share information and ideas. :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum, you will indeed find lots of projects here. In fact, too many projects is a common problem for many members, myself included.

Hi Tin Falcon, Checking in have had a lot on my plate,hope to keep active.
Allen.

Hi from Illinois to all. I am fairly new to model machining. A few years ago I found a Taig lathe in a yard sale while working in LA and it has a lot of tooling and attachments. There was a PM3 kit in the box so I immediately built it and it runs fine. Since then I cyl oh engine that had no rocker arms or pushrods but I found it easy to make these items from photos on the internet and it now runs fine. Recently I picked up a Silver Angel on EBay which was incomplete but short block Assy was beautifully machined by its late owner and I will be making all the valve train parts and governor so this will be a long term build. I also have a Jensen mill now that I found to be an early version of the Sterling mill but in inches instead of mm. Hope to have photos soon.

Thank you dalem9.
I just noticed a mis spell in my post. The mill is an early version of Sterling and not Sterling. I think autocorrect got me.

Hi all,

I'm Tom and nee to the world of model making.

As a kid I had a few opportunities to see some small steam engines and was absolutely fascinated. One of my fondest memories was visiting the Lake Goldsmith steam rally in country Victoria, Australia and seeing all these amazingly wonderfully crafted and cared for inventions of yesteryear.

I also recall visiting one of my father's friends workshop at his farm. And watching as he pulled a canvas sheet off a hit and miss engine. As it turned over I was fascinated by the irregularity of it, the moment of surprise every time the exhaust port closed and it would fire. Seemingly with a mind of it's own.

A seed had been planted, a desire I cannot escape.

It is now some 20 years later. I have my own children, and I want for them to hear, see and experience the wonder and joy that was in my mind as a child. So I have bought myself a lathe as a start and am keen to start making!

I have to say I'm amazed by some of the wonderful creations I've seen here.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome, Tom! This is a forum of like minded individuals. Lots of posts from Australia and the U K. Good to hear you are trying to reach out to the younger generation.
Terry in Texas

Also new to the world of model steam-engine hobbyists. Grew up in a country which had many steam locomotives on the tracks and just loved the sound and smell of the puffing monsters.

Thanks for the opportunity to join.
Regards
Robert

Home Model Engine Machinist
Dedicated to the hobbyist machinist building model engines .

Welcome to the board. Rick has done a fantastic job of getting things started. Let’s all do our part to keep the ball rolling and have this site grow. We do not want to make a lot of rules. The members of this board have been exemplary! Keep up the good work.

As the membership approaches 200 we would like to lay out the following

guidelines:

1) Get involved and have fun!

2) Make suggestions we all can learn from others we all have a different perspective, experience and education.

3) Have a question or problem? Ask! There’s no such thing as a dumb question.

4) Show us some of your work we all need inspiration.

5) Lets keep reasonably focused here use the break room for general discussions. Lets remember the first focus here is model engines.

6) Be SAFE! If your head doubts the safety of a set up or procedure,

ask for suggestions. If the suggestions still don’t feel right

DON'T DO IT!

7) If you have a tried and true setup that is helpful to the rest of us tell us about it and show us a photo.

8) we are all here to learn and share.

9) please put a general location in your profile so we know what part of the world and country state,province you are from. If it a large state like California , Texas, or Alaska, etc reference to the nearest large city would be good. Please place with avatar or in the signature line so it is handy.

Addendum :
Well the membership is over 2600 at this point and the board has grown there are a few things to add.

There are several Notices and sticky threads in various sub-fora please take time to read them. These include but are not limited to :
"Copyright notice"in the plans area
"Safety Rules " in the safety section
and
"Notice" in the about HMEM area.

Please confine O/T posts to the break room

Please try to place posts in the most appropriate sub fora.

We encourage all new members to post a introduction thread in the welcome area. That way when you ask a question , answer a question or give advice we have some idea of who you are and your perspective.

Regards

Tin & The HMEM Team
Home Model Engine Machinist
Dedicated to the hobbyist machinist building model engines .

Welcome to the board. Rick has done a fantastic job of getting things started. Let’s all do our part to keep the ball rolling and have this site grow. We do not want to make a lot of rules. The members of this board have been exemplary! Keep up the good work.

As the membership approaches 200 we would like to lay out the following

guidelines:

1) Get involved and have fun!

2) Make suggestions we all can learn from others we all have a different perspective, experience and education.

3) Have a question or problem? Ask! There’s no such thing as a dumb question.

4) Show us some of your work we all need inspiration.

5) Lets keep reasonably focused here use the break room for general discussions. Lets remember the first focus here is model engines.

6) Be SAFE! If your head doubts the safety of a set up or procedure,

ask for suggestions. If the suggestions still don’t feel right

DON'T DO IT!

7) If you have a tried and true setup that is helpful to the rest of us tell us about it and show us a photo.

8) we are all here to learn and share.

9) please put a general location in your profile so we know what part of the world and country state,province you are from. If it a large state like California , Texas, or Alaska, etc reference to the nearest large city would be good. Please place with avatar or in the signature line so it is handy.

Addendum :
Well the membership is over 2600 at this point and the board has grown there are a few things to add.

There are several Notices and sticky threads in various sub-fora please take time to read them. These include but are not limited to :
"Copyright notice"in the plans area
"Safety Rules " in the safety section
and
"Notice" in the about HMEM area.

Please confine O/T posts to the break room

Please try to place posts in the most appropriate sub fora.

We encourage all new members to post a introduction thread in the welcome area. That way when you ask a question , answer a question or give advice we have some idea of who you are and your perspective.

Regards

Tin & The HMEM Team
Im not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I can’t seem to find a thread starter or new topic icon in order to ask questions. I also cannot find the icon for login.

Back