Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome guys.
I will also remind folks that you can post an individual introduction thread in this section. it allows for more personal conversation with you.
Either way works.
Tin

Hello,
Wojciech - from Poland and living in France (near Paris) I am really interested to building small v-twin. I am car and bike freak !

Iam 30 year old

Hi Wojciech

Welcome to the site. Watch the plans forum, I will soon start to post my version of a Harley Knucklehead V Twin as I recomfirm all parts I will post them. It Will be in about 16 zip files, containing Drawings in PDF format, dwf files foe 3D and videos of each section. I will start posting "SOON"
(No Charge to members)

Draw-tech

Hi to all,

My name is Vern, I retired about 8 years ago from a Vancouver, Washington company that makes the machines that produce concrete blocks and various shaped concrete products. I worked in the welding fabrication department and I am still learning my machinist skills.

I have always had an interested in building model engines and things that when looked at, people ask "well what does it do".

I have been cruising this web site for a while and I am amazed at wealth of knowledge and information it contains. I saw the build thread on the Half scale quadricycle engine. I have wanted to build a quarter scale version of that engine. Is it possible to obtain a set of plans.

I hope I didn't ramble on too long. I've always thought a person can learn more seeing and hearing than talking.
Vern

Hello to all I am from Western Australia I have been involved with rc models for many years ,,2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.I have come across this forum and now I feel it's time challenge myself and build my own working engine,,,my future goal is to build a supercharged V8 ,,will be gaining as much knowledge as possible from you guys thanks..

Welcome Vern and 1Cube, you will pick up a lot of tips from the members here, don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how simple you think they are.

Paul.

Howdy y'all,
jj-smith translate "john" or jj.

Just another machine nut from way back, went through polytechnic college (just vocational or trade school) in The Netherlands (Holland) left there in '67 for Canada and spent most of my life trying to figure out who I really am!
Still haven't figured that one out but have been fabricating, inventing, converting and building small gasoline engines, car engines and just about any other engine out there, and not least...gadgets! I love copper and brass along with all the other workable metals.

In coming closer to retardedment I have been working on gathering parts pieces and machines to alter them with, and now I'm starting to center on gathering knowledge in the finer parts of tiny gasoline/alcohol engines so I can finally make use of all that I learned.

I have a small bedroom machine shop on the go and am looking to expand to better and more accurate machines to satisfy that building lust which I have really not even started to get right into other than the odd one off "gadget"

I am still busy driving truck all over, but that's coming to an end in a few years (God willing) and so here I am.
I found this site purely out of roaming the net in my usual "search for new ideas" mode,
and I like what I've found...nice site and right up my ally,

Thanks for having me. J.

Welcome jj-smith

What is your small bedroom shop like? What machines do you have?

As we all say here:

We Like Pictures!

Welcome aboard,

--ShopShoe

Hello shopshoe,

I am down to one 6" Atlas lathe, which will also go to be replaced with a newer one of 12 inch swing, all the other standard tools like a post drill, bench and post grinders, compressor, miller 180 autoset (getting back to more diverse welding capability, a miller sidekick for body and spot welding work and also being my main fluxcore welder.
I'm waiting on a deal for a tig machine (miller 300 water cooled) for heavier welding and a new knee mill.
I have jewellers torches and all other torches, and many more tools and stuff.

I am kind of in the middle of tuning up for retirement hobbying, but still have a few bigger projects on the go with a rat rod, three motorcycles, two stationary engines and a few smaller projects with 10 to 15 hp engines, a wind generator project and a multi-solar panel project.
and last but not least....a golf cart to finish.

So switching to smaller more satisfying (and less labour intensive) engine building will be a relief no doubt...I'll have to live longer to see it all happen lol.

But here I am! Working on it.

The "shop" will be added on or I'll move to a better home with a bonefied backyard shop.
pics will have to wait till I get back into a computer and more time.

Whew...I think that's it!

Cheers John.

Oh and of course all of that does NOT fit into my little 8 x 10 bed room, it solely has had the bare nessesities for small work on guns and model aircraft, gas lamps burners and stoves.
The rest of it is dispersed to the livingroom (two bikes, a 383 Chevy stroker and a Honda GL1100 engine.)
And all the other stuff is divided between the porch, yard and a sea container where the Harley resides with the portable welders and two yard machines.
J.

Last edited:
Your house sounds just like my loungeroom.
Welcome JJ

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for the kind welcome,

Yes my house seems to have turned into a veritable museum, work shed, still room and restaurant etc etc.
I live alone when home from traversing the great North American continent in a transport truck and have no obligations toward keeping a missus happy so I do what comes natural and fill my life, yard and home with dreams, and sometimes nightmares.;D

Seeing as I always have wanted to build tiny steam, gasoline and alcohol engines, I am now finally making small steps toward the proper tools and machines to do just that.
It sounds simple but there is a lot to do in changing from one side of the spectrum in hobbying to the other.

The end result will be a clean yard so I can grow some things, no more big items to deal with and a more wound down lifestyle as my body is changing and I simply cannot do the heavy stuff anymore, nor can I move about as I used to lol.

I do love small machines and am totally excited to finally be making headway towards the smaller work and suitable work room which I started to l started to dwell on and plan for a few years back and started buying machines for.

I am planning to combine two rooms and include the 8x28 porch to make one nice big area of approximately 20' x 28' (roughly 4.5 x 7M) for doing all of that in.
That will still leave me a living room, dining room, kitchen (open concept), a bathroom and one bedroom.

Transitioning from one to the other style of hobbying is going to be haphazard but I'm determined to build my refuge inside the house where all my comforts and habits seem to concentrate.

Cheers, J.

Your house sounds just like my loungeroom.
Welcome JJ

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for the kind welcome,

Yes my house seems to have turned into a veritable museum, work shed, still room and restaurant etc etc.
I live alone when home from traversing the great North American continent in a transport truck and have no obligations toward keeping a missus happy so I do what comes natural and fill my life, yard and home with dreams, and sometimes nightmares.;D

Seeing as I always have wanted to build tiny steam, gasoline and alcohol engines, I am now finally making small steps toward the proper tools and machines to do just that.
It sounds simple but there is a lot to do in changing from one side of the spectrum in hobbying to the other.

The end result will be a clean yard so I can grow some things, no more big items to deal with and a more wound down lifestyle as my body is changing and I simply cannot do the heavy stuff anymore, nor can I move about as I used to lol.

I do love small machines and am totally excited to finally be making headway towards the smaller work and suitable work room which I started to dwell on and plan for a few years back and started buying machines for.

I am planning to combine two rooms and include the 8x28 porch to make one nice big area of approximately 20' x 28' (roughly 4.5 x 7M) for doing all of that in.
That will still leave me room for a living room/diningroom/kitchen (open concept), bathroom, laundry and one bedroom.

Transitioning from one to the other style of hobbying is going to be haphazard but I'm determined to build my refuge inside the house where all my comforts and habits seem to concentrate.

Cheers, J.

G'Day all...As you can guess I'm from Oz.....not much experience working with metal but slowly learning and gaining a bit of experience.

My main interests are bikes and wanting to do mods is what lead with to start working with metal as a hobby.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome from faraway Singapore. Please forewarned this metal bashing hobby is very interesting.rewarding but highly addictive.

Hi all from wonderful WV. Semi-retired here,spent working career in timber - wood products industry. Mostly interested in steam,though anything mechanical interests me.Want to build steam model fairly large , maybe 3 x 5 ish,so if anyone knows of plans that would be helpful.

Hi Sackett and wEc1

Also wEc1to you Rob (bladehunter).. Mate I have 2 questions to ask you after I try and cover Sacketts question first. Then will keep them as brief as possible. If you are who I think you are, you will likely find this interesting and maybe useful also.

Sackett,
As this is a 'model' engine forum I am guessing you meant 3 x 5 inches, not feet.
One good source of plans is the late, Mr Elmer Verburg who has kindly allowed his own collection of plans to be released free to the public for not for profit, personal use purposes. The plans can be downloaded for free in pdf format from John Tomlisons site. There are about 50 or so different types of engine, from quite easy and simple to more complex and challenging. Johns site has many other types of hobby interests as well so you may also find that of interest too. My suggestion is to read through a few plans that interest you and try find one you do not have to buy additional tooling or materials to complete and feel comfortable to start and confident you can build. Get stuck, then there are people and likely already threads with info, here to help.
If you were wanting to make a 3 x 5 foot engine you could always upscale the plans simply by multiplying all the dimensions by 5,6,10 or whatever, to enlarge to a scale that suits. Before committing to an up scaled plan, make sure you can fit/clamp/chuck and machine the parts. The flywheel is usually the limiting factor with up scaling and don't have a clue why I added that:rolleyes:

Here is the link to Johns site.
http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

3' x 5' Elmer engine :eek:I have never seen one that big. I say go for it;D:cool:
Both you get ready for the addiction which is model engineering, while being rewarding, carries many afflictions, often to the wallet:wall:
However as you both probably know there is quite often money to be saved by simply thinking outside the box. That's where this site helps lots.

Okay Rob,
Question number 1 is are you from SA?
Question 2. Do you have quite a few videos uploaded on uTube?
If your answer is yes to both, I can then comfortably presume that we have spoken on the tube before regarding aluminium foundry work, furnace/burner design and casting moulds for slabs and slugs.
If that is you, :eek: and its good to finally see you here and about bloody time!;D:cool:

Welcome again guys and
Cheers *beer*
Paul from Oz

*Rob, Just noticed the user location is not visible when replying via a email link and reviewing the previous posts in reply mode. Just noticed your profile says Sydney, NSW not SA.
Unless me thinking or falsely remembering SA, or Sydney is a typo or something, I may have made a mistake.

Last edited:
Back