Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody,

I have been lurking on this site for a while now but this is my first post. I live in Ireland and have just started setting up my home workshop which should be all kitted out in about eight weeks. I'm a toolmaker by trade however I haven't worked in this industry for about ten years (wages not great) but know my way around manual and cnc machines.
I'm love ic engines especially radial and the hoglet and plan on starting off building one of these.
As for machines I'm looking at getting a Sieg C3 lathe and X3 mill both with dro and glass scales and this is where I need some advice what length scales do I need for the x,y,z on the mill and x,y on the lathe.
Also if any fellow machinists are from Ireland I'd love to hear from you.

Adrian

Adrian welcome . the SEIG web site should give machine dimensions. But If you ask this question in the tool area you should get some response.
Tin

Hi Adrian,
Corrado here...from Western Australia. Welcome to this great forum.
I also recently set up my workshop & having read your article, prompted me to tell of my experience which may benefit others.
My interest is small steam engines for Model Boats. I see you are looking at the SIEG C3. I originally started with the C1 & immediately found it not strong enough especially when parting off. Then I went up to the C3 which was a much better lathe but was still having vibration/jamming problems when parting.
I tried everything to fix this problem to no avail. Finally I bought the C6 & I have never looked back. In hind sight I wish I had got this machine in the first place.
I know the C3 is a compact & good looking lathe, but it's heavier & bigger brother is a better machine. Can you try before you buy?

Hi Corrado,
Thanks for the advice, I'm now going to look at the C6 and see if i can fit it into my budget.
Sadly i can't try before i buy and don't know if anyone has any SIEG machines in Ireland, I was relying on videos to make my decision (probably not the best idea).
I have to agree this is a great forum not only for the masterpieces been made but also the good advice everyone is willing to give.

Adrian

Hello to all!
On the look for information on the build of my first engine (Sterling 60 from plans of Jeroen Jonkman) I discovered this forum.
You have a great community here and I already learned a lot.
I'm 54 years of age and always been into machinery and engines but did not have the skills to completely build most of them myself.
So last year I decided to join a course for turning and milling. Since then I have learned a lot and started to build up my work shop (good lathe and mill and other equipment).
Already build many parts for my main hobby; rc aircraft (mainly turbine powered jets) like retractable gear and other small things.
Recently I got plans for the Sterling 60 and decided to give that project a try.
Coming along pretty well until I stumbled over some missing parts in the plans.
Posted about that in the threat http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f12/plans-brass-stirling-60-a-8937/ Hope somebody can help.
Cheers, Hans

Hi all!

My name is Adam, I'm a 30 yo engineering student (but computer engineering rather than mechanical) living in Sydney, Australia. I have an interest in mechatronics, and control systems and have been a mentor for several FIRST Robotics Competition teams in Sydney and my part-time job is to teach robotics and programming to high school students. As for my spare time, I'm interested in mechanical engineering. I've got my first milling machine (an old tired RF-30, similar to the Enco/Grizzly mills available in the US), and looking at fitting ballscrews and stepper motors to make a light duty mill for parts, and to quill mount a Dremel for circuit boards.

I had never really considered steam until I started playing with pneumatics. When I saw engines running on compressed air, my godfather (an aviation / mechanical engineer of over 50 years) recommended I consider building a boiler to power my first engine, which is a wobbler.

I'm getting quite proficient in Autodesk Inventor (a CAD system for mechanical engineering), as well as EAGLE (CAD for electronics engineering). While the CAD says everything fits, there's a huge difference between having a design look like it will work on the PC and having it work in real life and so I look forward to figuring out why assemblies I made don't work (and even more so, seeing them actually work haha!).

Hello everybody from Finland _o/

I have been reading this forum long time before even registered, more like huge study what plans and possibilities there are available. There are few engines I have build, simple oscillation of cource and something like 2 stroke air pressure thingy. Thats my desing all the way, but thats no cool to drag air compressor everywhere. Really looking seriously at boll aero and some hit and miss engines. Really get carried away, Im co-teacher, thats best descibing what I do and place is at scool seconddegree teaching machinist and welders. Simple oscillation engine was last years one main element, every student made one. I think I can say, I have every tool there is needed, but without user all the tools are useless.

My own shop also keeps one manual benchtop lathe, slighly bigger sieg x3 mill and all sort of other things. Currently under build is indexing table, suitable for x3 mill. Body is made from solid hunk of iron, so cnc mill and lathe will be used, as much as bossible. I teach cnc machines as well manual. Somehow i managet to make my hobby as my work. Not so long time, 5-7 years ago, when studieng to metal working I made my own cnc mill, for milling wood and desingn every electronic etc. Computer engineer is my other degree, but coding own software to cotrol it, I used linux emc instead. Im really poor to write actual computer program codes, making with my hands is what I do best. Microcotrollers like current arduino platform is all differet beast, thats fun and thanks to librarys, easy, comparing to before life designed z80 etc. I teach some electric courses too, unfortunately not arduino, only basic house fuses and extension cords. Now im so carried away again, only was thinking to write few lines. well this is me, all confusing and mixing and making most of the time things only few really beleaves it can be done only using sewing needle, some dirt and huge grinder :D

Spell check is seriously not working somehow :confused:

Mikko

Hi,

Joining this forum after finding a web search result reviewing micro lathes. I am a newbie when it comes to machining...in fact, I've never milled or turned a piece of metal!

Interested in creating small custom parts for my RC addiction. I'm sure I'll be up way too late tonight reading through this forum. Ha ha!!

Looking to purchase a manual mill and lathe soon, keeping an eye on the future for possible conversion to CNC...but baby steps for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

Hi, Eric here. I haven't built any engines yet but I would like to. I'm still doing research on lathes and mills. I would like to get a 10x22 lathe I think. I've been looking at the Grizzly G0602, and the Bolton BT-1022. Same basic lathe from what I can tell but the Bolton has more features. I was looking at the G0704 mill to go with it but I haven't done as much mill research so I don't know if there may be something better out there. I got interested in this hobby by watching metal casting videos on Youtube by Myfordboy. Anyway I hope to get some machines in the next 6 months or so. We will see.

Eric.

hello to all members
i m almost a new member
i want to build two cylinders flat engine
i couldnot find such plans in download section
can anyone help me please

Hi all my names Edward i'm 30 and have been working for the last year as a machinist. I work at a local job shop we do mostly repair work for local refinerys deep well pump shafts turbo expanders and the like, but we get all kinds of oddball stuff that comes in. I am really intrested in all kinds of small projects from mechanical to electronic.

Latest posts

Back