Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Happy New Year To All Here

My name is Markfrom Manchester UK with a sparse knowledge of engineering tosay the least although always in the background, even as a child. My interests inbuilding small models started when I found an article from Tom McWire inInstructables (easy cnc) about how to make a CNC machine from water pipes, Iwas in California at the time, ordered loads of bits, which are cheap there,brought them home and started building my first project, a scratch built CNCrouter using 3 old scanner’s. I’ve beenbuilding my CNC since about 07, starting with basics and progressing slowly eversince, its only for PCB’s and engraving so my needs are minimal, size wise thatis and the product so far has been great, but, things have moved on, more toyshave been added to the workshop and scope has widened a little, I now have small lathe pillar drill & band saw, x1mill & some gadgets that go with them, current recent projects include,hydraulic damper for the saw, repaired the 4 jaw chuck, Gerrys beam engine, & this Christmas Santabought me a set of castings for a bottle engine, although things progressslowly with me at the best of times, illness sometimes plays a big part in this.I do all my work in the back room of our apartment but at least it’s warm anddry in winter and for those from warmer climates cooler in the summer. I havebeen lurking in the back ground for a wile now always collecting ideas to puton the shelf of useless information, but just recently there has been of rummagingon that particular shelf, may be one day might even have something to add, whoknows?

Mark

Hi all,
Firstly i would like to let everyone know i have been watching from the sideline for a while now and thought i would start the new year off by becoming a member of this excellent/friendly/informative site that has given me much info/knowledge already.My name is Paul from Sydney Australia.My history of tinkering goes way back to my childhood.I used to drag my fathers big old 'dawn' vice which was mounted to a piece of timber, all over the yard for my various projects.I bought my first arc welder at about 15yo.Then after failing history in yr10,i missed out on getting my school certificate.My next door neigbour ran a small refrigeration and air conditioning business from home.He knew i used to tinker and repair 'victa 18' lawnmowers and stuff,then when i was about 17yo he came over and offered me an apprenticeship.Before then i did not even know what refrigeration was..Now at 37yo im an accomplished tradesman.So in hindsight i think doing my trade was probably better than repeating yr10.
Well what got me into this hobby i cant really remember,but i did already have my own home foundry,and make my own patterns of sinker molds,cleats,hammer heads and simple stuff.Then somehow i got interested in engines.I started researching small machinery.Bought a Seig x2 mill and also a lathe similar to the Seig c2.Then as my tooling needs increased,the thickness of my wallet proportionally decreased.It soon became apparent that i would end up spending more on tooling and machine mods than i had on the machinery.Then comes tilting vices,rotary tables...The result is me being poorer,but having more fun.My tv and pc are in the loungeroom,so i thought bugger it,that loungroom wall over there is going to be where i build my workshop work bench.4"x2" and 18mm mdf sheet were bought,sliced up and screwed together to form my work bench.I then kitted it out with ball bearing runners and several wide shallow drawers and lighting.Converted a small air compressor to run off a fridge motor so i can minimise noise.
So now my work area was taking shape,i thought it time to attempt a model.I was purchasing a qctp from little machine shop,and thought i would give one of their $25 barstock oscilating engines a go.It turn out to run,and tought me some things along the way.I needed a screwless vice for milling,not the drill press vice i was using as the moveable jaw was lifting when tightened.
I then went to PM research and bought 3 kits. Oscilating,horizontal mill engine and the thimble.
They all turned out to run fine so this gave me much confidence(as well as being able to fall back on this forum for info).. I thought i want an engine with more moving bits so i ordered a Horizontal beam engine from Cotswold heritage in the UK..This is the engine im 80% the way through,when the plastic gears in my mill gave way.So im now waiting on a belt drive kit from benchtopprecision.com in USA ..
I look forward to learning as much as i can from all you clever people on here.
Kind regards to all,and to all,a prosperous new year.

Paul
PS; Attached are some pics of my setup and project

Picture 824.jpg

Picture 825.jpg

Picture 826.jpg

Last edited:
My First post here!

Hi All

First thing I ever turned on a metal lathe was a replacement piston for a model steam engine. It was also the last thing and was about 35 years ago.
I have done a lot of metal fabrication and casting on a small scale as a jeweller and want to make larger pieces like boilers and Stationary engines. I am joining my local ME Club next week and obtaining a copy of the boiler code then. I call Hervey Bay in Queensland home but work near the QLD / SA border FIFO
I'm starting from scratch with my workshop so will be a long process.

Cheers

Welcome.

Cool, so you should have investment casting experience... which is great for really small model parts. Can you help anyone who is interested in investment casting and has questions?

John

Welcome.

Cool, so you should have investment casting experience... which is great for really small model parts. Can you help anyone who is interested in investment casting and has questions?

John

I would be happy to.
I was doing a flask or two most days - Alloying, centrifugal and vacuum casting, Mold cutting, wax work, building trees, Investing, burnout. Hand makes, restorations, repairs. All principles there, just need a supersize!
i learned the no shortcut way from an old timer.
Dip. Gem.
FGAA

Hi all. Newbie Andrew from Barnsley, UK here, just in from surfing for basic info on machining. Must say, fab range of resources and depth of experience here. I am absolutely blown away with the high quality of work people are achieving in their home workshops. Truly amazing.

As for myself, I don't have any mechanical engineering background but I am a confident woodworker. I like to make quality things, and can appreciate the work, time, love and pride that go into a project like the engines here (Compressed Air V-8 Aero Engine, 3 inches long, whaaat?..)

I became drawn into this area of interest after I inherited an ancient woodworking lathe from my wife's grandfather. He used it to fabricate wooden toys from scrap hardwood to raise money for the local church. The lathe had a Burnerd four jaw independent chuck (one broken jaw adjuster, hmm...) so I had a go a turning some wood. Quite tricky with that dodgy chuck.

However, at that time I desperately needed to keep my old motorbike on the road (only means of transport to get to work) so I often attempted to turn various bits of metal on the woodworking lathe, repairing and upgrading damaged or worn parts, such as spacers and bushes. I had some success but mainly I was frustrated. Finally, to finish things off, I snapped the end off my chuck key inside the broken adjuster... Game over!

After research on the web, I bought myself brand new Sieg C3 lathe, 4 jaw chuck plus set of HSS toolbits. Setup in garage next to my bench drill I practiced turning and shaping just about anything I could lay my hands on; old bolts, scrounged scrap, any bits of steel, aluminium or plastic to whittle down. Very happy with it. Just love this... Something magical about shaping with a lathe. New possibilities start to drift into my mind.

Deep joy when I found a pile of scrap metal plate and 3/4inch diameter bolts over a foot long, abandoned and rusting away under a bridge. Yup, I'll have those. Cue Andrew going home and disappearing happily into garage for indefinite amount of time.

I'm learning all the time and definitely getting more accurate. I've made a few 'useful' items on the way. Internal threading is a bit of a struggle. Need better (read smaller) toolbits. I can't afford a milling machine yet but I reckon I could make a good file-guide.

I'd like to have a go at making a new adjuster for grandfathers lathe chuck, but need to dig a square hole. Rotary broach? Bit too advanced yet, I'll have to research that.

Small steps, long way to go, still experimenting, but keep working on my skills and for a start, I fancy I'm going to have one of those little wobbler engines running before too long.

Best wishes to everyone. Keep up the good work. Andrew.

Then as my tooling needs increased,the thickness of my wallet proportionally decreased.It soon became apparent that i would end up spending more on tooling and machine mods than i had on the machinery.

Its a trap, once you fall in there is no way getting out... Welcome

I am a total forum imposter; I am not making an engine, only a clock and any bits necessary for it. In the past I have made a dividing head, graduating and knurling tools, a bench drill and other things all described by G.H.Thomas in 'Mod Eng' mag in the 1970/80s. Also mods to my worn-out Smart and Brown Sabel 9" lathe.
I hope to be able to contribute but I''ll keep my head down until I have something to begin with, but I am watching!

Greetings and Happy New Year to everyone. I decided to join your forum to learn about doing things "small". It's amazing what I see coming out of you guys. Very good inspiration for me here.

I've got a couple of old lathes, a drill-mill and a bunch of drill presses. (I love drill presses.) Don't have any room for them though! Wife can't get the car in the garage anymore, so when it snows/freezes, I make sure to warm up the car for her :p.

I seem to keep winding up here... I've been a long time metal caster (mostly aluminum) on and off for over a decade. I've recently tore into my Clausing lathe as part of a CNC conversion, and whether or not that is successful, will be instrumental in a Stirling Engine build. I have some lathe related questions (and that's how I keep winding up back here!). I might do a build thread on it, depending on interest. I started one on Alloy Avenue, which is my typical haunt, but I'm just about at a point where it's time to take the castings and turn them into something useful - or at least entertaining.

hello all, im from ohio and a hobbyist into a lot of deferent things have been for years mostly rc, planes,gas cars/trucks, but they tend to crash and break :) and are not cheep, so two years ago when i got my lathe i built two all metal rc cranes one latec boom and a telescopic boom, i started building steam/air engines this past summer and am addicted now, have always loved mechanical
things. im low budget in i only have a mini lathe but it dose well for me, hope to get a mill then ill be dangerous, iv got three steam/air engines iv built that ill be posting some pics/vids of soon i hope? looking foreword to making new friends and learning more then i think i know iv seen a lot of nice engines on here. id like to for my next engine build one iv seen on you tube a hit&miss air engine so if any one could help out with some plans that would be cool? Thanks

Hi, I am a retired "hands on" engineer, I have recovered ( still am recovering) from a lot of surgery, house moving etc. and want to indulge myself in the construction of things I tried to design over the years. trouble is, I sold my good lathe and other equipment for the move!
I couldn't live without a lathe so I have bought a tiny vintage lathe (mid nineteen thirties I think) which I'm trying to sort out, I need something better but this will keep me quiet for the moment!
It is a "badged" PORTASS I believe, made at Sheffield in England.
I have found this site now and am very impressed with the way it is being run - I look forward to many happy hours here.

Hello from N Cumbria UK
I applied to join HMEM some time ago and enjoy the info and natter, but have yet to post message so here goes.
I am not an engineer so a number of years ago I went to the local tech. college and enrolled on to the engineering courses that were then being offered and enjoyed learning to use lathes and milling machines-happy days-but now they no longer seem to hold these courses!
I have a older Myford S7 lathe and an Amadeal Vertical miller plus an assortment of hand tools and have a Simplex 5 inch gauge locomotive on the stocks, a very long time project. I have come across a very old model of a mill engine that I would like to renovate but like a lot of other folk do not seem to spend as much time as I would like in the workshop.
Best wishes
Bill

I've been a member here for a couple of months, but thought I should introduce myself. I live just outside Edinburgh in Scotland and have been model engineering for about 8 years now. I have two 7.25" gauge steam loco projects on the go, but progress is slow, too many other things such as kids take up my time! One loco is built from plans and castings but the other is my own design which I hope to publish when it's finished.

I originally trained as a mechanical engineer but haven't worked much in that line, apart from a couple of years with a company doing subcontract machining of aircraft parts. I've a garage workshop at the end of the garden containing a Colchester Bantam lathe and an Elliott '00' Omnimill.

Hello everybody, I've been a member on here for a short time but I've been a long time stalker. I have enjoyed all the engine build post and now have started work on one of my own. I've settled on the Kozo Hiraoka A-3 switcher. Things will probably go a little slow at first due to having a HF 7x lathe and a HF mini mill/drill but I think I can think outside the box enough to get it done with what I have. The only mods I have done to my 7x is installed a shars axa QCTP and cleaned up some of the slop in the gibs. I am looking forward to learning quite a bit from being on here .
Thank you,
Jim

Hi everyone, I'm a brand new member here.
I thought I was already a member till I tried to retrieve my password and found out I hadn't actually signed up yet.
I've guess I've been browsing around here a long time, Anyway I thought I better make it official.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Everyone...

Been going through the info on this great site for some time now and decided to finaly join up.
I live in Aussie and am have a few ideas in mind for my first project. Ex mechanic by trade and finaly decided to do something practical in my spare time. (or lack therofm :)) Did 3 months of machining in Metalwork at school so am a bit under schooled in that area but am looking forward to the challenge... Any suggestions on a first project more than welcome...

Hi all

I have been lurking around here for a while now and took the plunge today,
First let me say I am amazed at some of the work you guys produce, I currently do not have any machines, a bit of background I work offshore, 3 month trips never in the same location, any way after doing some research of Unimat, Taig and Sherline I have decided to buy a Sherline lathe and mill, I will carry it offshore with me and learn to use it while I am away, we have a lot of down time and sometimes I have nothing to do for weeks, so this will keep me busy, I would like to ask should I go for the manual or digital readout? Advantages etc? I wanted to start a new post to ask these question but could not find the new post link!!!!

Thanks

Dave

Latest posts

Back