Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vernon said:
Welcome, Hedgehog! Any pics of the Stirlings?

no sorry all "lost" when i last moved. all pictures were lost as well before i started backing up my pictures on multiple harddrives :(

Thanks for the pic...but I'm very new to different types of engines.
What makes it a 'fizgig'?

Hi!
Just starting out as a model builder. Ordered my first lathe a few days ago, a 17" Sherline with all the bells and whistles! Should be able to pick it up soon!

Looking forward to posting my successes and failures and hopefully getting some pointers on how to fix the sticky situations i will most likely find myself in!!

Looks like a great forum!!

Welcome Lazylathe.
You will have a lot of fun when your new toy arrives. There is lots of help available on this forum, and a lot of fun to be had also. Never be afraid to ask questions. They help everyone as we get a lot different ways to solve problems.
wEc1
Gail in NM

Welcome to the forum lazylathe.
Lots of fun here.
Any thoughts yet as to what you want to build with the lathe?

[EDIT: Oh! And tell us about yourself.]

Lazylathe,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

To start with....
I visited the page where you all proudly display your lathes.
I now know that i am in the minor league playing with the Big Boys!!!
There truly are some beautiful machines out there!
Maybe one day when i have some experience i will move on up the "Ladder Of Lathes".

I am thinking of starting with some very simple projects to gain some confidence on a metal lathe. Worked a lot on wood lathes, but they are different beasts all together.
Maybe a Wobbler or two??
Some centre punches and a few ball pene hammers for woodworking friends of mine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome LL. I think you will enjoy your new Sherline...they are great little lathes and can turn out just as fine a work as the big boys, just smaller in size.

Regards,
Bill

Hi All,

Sorry to take so long to post this but I had a little trouble finding this thread. Ive been lurking here for a couple of months and have learned a lot from all of you experienced guys.

Ten years ago I retired from 35 years of flying airplanes for United and finally had time to learn about metalworking. I have done quite a bit of woodworking and renovated a circa 1760 saltbox cottage and a 1890 victorian. I took two semesters of training at our local community college. One semester was devoted to the lathe and one to the knee mill. All of the machinery was pretty well worn out and had been donated to the school. I built a wobbler out of plexiglass using plans that I found on the internet and a Tiny Power Little Kathy engine from a casting kit. Due to space considerations, I decided that a Smithy three in one machine would be my choice. I had trouble justifying the cost and got busy with a couple of construction projects at our local Boy Scout camp and building with Habitat for Humanity. Half of my pension disappeared when United went bankrupt so I got my building contractors license and when to work for pay at Habitat as a construction manager. That job went away last year when the donations dropped off and as a result, the construction schedule was cut way back. About four months ago I found a never used Smithy at an estate sale and picked it up for $250.00. I have added about $600.00 worth of tooling, etc since then and have started making chips. I am building a candle engine from plans that I think were copied from an old issue of Popular Mechanics. I got a copy of Elmer's Engines from the library and will a wobbler from that book will be next. I am looking forward to learning more form you guys.

Thanks for all of the information and inspiration.

Jack

Hi everybody.
I'm so happy that I find here when Googling about lathe machines.
First of all I am not a model builder at all. just a home handyman works in garage at weekends and totally noob.
For now I'm working on a human powered hydraulic lifter and also a human powered 3 wheeled vehicle.
I'm very impressed by your projects and hope learn a lot from you guys.

Hello everyone,

I've decided to finally join the ranks of model engine builders and so picked up a new grizzly lathe last week. After seeing all the neat engines the members here build I can't wait to get started making chips of my own. Thanks for all the great project ideas already.

Jason

Welcome to HMEM Jason glad to have ya in the ranks. These guys around here have century's of combined wisdom.

Jason,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Back