Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldsteamer,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome here, too. You'll find (if you hadn't noticed already) that mostly the same characters inhabit this place as the last one you joined. It's an eclectic mix of newbies and experienced builders. So far, I've found it an enjoyable place to be, and plenty of support.

Hi all, Ron here from Pueblo, CO USA. I have been lurking a while and reading a lot of the posts. Very informative! This is one great site. Am 62 yrs young, and am trying my best to learn how to use my machining tools. A mini lathe and a H/F Dill/Mill. I took a course in Machining Tech. at my local college back in the early 80s. Never worked in the field though.
I bulid and fly RC Aircraft.

Here are some pics of my work and tooling.

Cummins 7x12 Lathe.jpg

HB Drill Mill.jpg

Mill Mod1.jpg

Mill Mod2.jpg

Ran out of room on previous post lol.

hpoe this all comes out right never posted on aboard before with attachments.

Ron

Tooling.jpg

If pics are in wrong thread I apologize and if need be the can be moved. Havent learned how to edit yet ::).

Ron,
Welcome to HMEM. Glad to have you aboard!

The pictures are fine. Looks like you've made a lot of tools yourself. Good, we like that ;D

If you want, there is a forum called "The Shop". Many members have started threads about their shops and tools that live in them.

Again, welcome.

Kevin

Yes I have made a lot but thats about all I'm getting done at the moment :D. I'm a tool nut to begin with and there are lot of tools a person needs to do a good job it seems. I cant afford to buy them all so I make what I can. Plus It gives me much needed practice and I hpoe the confidence to tackle tougher projects.

Ron

Ozzie46

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi everyone, My name is Scott 41yrs, and I have also been lurking and reading through the posts. Have been a mechanic for past 20+ years and I like to tinker and have always wanted to get into the machine trades. I have access to my father in-laws shop, and his machining experience. Have already found some great info on the site, and the ability of its members is inspiring. Scott.

This is a newbie intoduction.

I am an old retired (or retarded ) codger. When I was younger I had a unimat bought in the mid sixties that I used for fun. I lost it in a fire in the nineties. I replqced it with a mini lathe bought through the mail.Then a year later aquired an ancient Logan.
When I went to work for my brother in a tractor repair shop, I bought a 13X40 lathe and a chinese made bridgeport type mill and taught myself to use them. I spent some time making tooling, jigs, and vises to assist me and learn to use the tools. Then I began to actually use them to make a living.
One of the first toys I made was a 4 cylinder steam or air engine with 9 moving parts.
It is of the oscillating type design and works well. I had no plans or pictures. I just dreamed it up and made it, creating jigs to make duplicate parts as I went along.
I call it the wiggler for obvious reasons.
I have recently finished a two cylinder engine, double acting, with crank throws 90 degrees apart. It uses sliding valve box like a locomotive. Again, I had no plans or pictures. I just took pieces of metal and cut away anything that did not look like a steam engine part. Lacking a boiler, I took it out to the garage and plugged in the air compressor. I was delighted to see it work on the first try. I guess I got the valve timing correct.
As I learn how to use this site, I will post photos and hopefully video of these toy engines.
BTW any hints on how to post photos or video would be welcome.

Phelonius

Phelonius,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Phelonius
A warm welcome to you.
First rule of posting here :big: It is illegal to tell us about legendary sounding engines and not show pictures, Also workshop pictures are considered a "nicety" :big: :big: :big:
seriously a very warm welcome to you, please enjoy your stay with us.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Hello All,
Just a short intro. I am Todd Snouffer, facilities engineer by day,
mechanical engineer, amateur machinist by night. My wife, Joy, and I
founded Littlelocos Model Engineering (www.LITTLELOCOS.com) about
5 or 6 years ago as an extension to my passion for model engineering.

I work in 3D solids using TurboCAD Pro and have produced and published
two engines -- a 3-cylinder 0.7ci Radial dubbed "Pip" and a 1-cylinder 0.25ci
sidevalve named "Puck". My current project is yet unnamed, but is a
freelance, barstock Hit and Miss engine (7/8 bore, 1-1/8 stroke, 4-1/4 flywheels).
I hope to have a running prototype and plans sets available by the Mid-Ohio show
in October or at Cabin Fever in January.

Hopefully, I can be of help with the group.

Sincerely,
Todd.

Littlelocos Model Engineering
www.LITTLELOCOS.com

Back