Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave

For Questions go to home. Building Then. Questions & Answers and Go Digital, more accurate, and easy to use. Have it on my miller. lost without it.

Jack

Bonjours, my name is Claude, I am 47 year old and I live in Toulouse in the South of France.
I am to fascinate of manufacturing I have just bought a milling machine Emco F1

Welcome Claude, fine little machine there. Are you also on Usinages.com?

Indeed. Lots traffic there, great forum. Many nice people and much knowledge. I'm same username there.

Hi to everyone from Inverness.

I find myself getting looked at strangely whenever I mention to someone that ive built such and such and get the usual ''Why? What does it do? What are you going to use it for?'', so surrounded by philistines as I am I decided I need to reach out to similar minded individuals who understand that its as much about the journey as it is about the destination.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some home made milling machine information?

Thank you

Hi Juxtappose, welcome to the forum, I know the feeling that you are talking about, weird looks from people with that "why bother making that" expression. There are a lot of people who have no creative skills or hobby and just don't understand. I can appreciate other people's skills, whether it's jam making, baking, boatbuilding or car restoring to name a few.

Paul.

Last edited:

I find myself getting looked at strangely whenever I mention to someone that ive built such and such and get the usual ''Why? What does it do? What are you going to use it for?'', so surrounded by philistines as I am I decided I need to reach out to similar minded individuals who understand that its as much about the journey as it is about the destination.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some home made milling machine information?

Thank you
Did they say this while they had a cell phone stuck to their ear? :p

Those of us who can do what you mentioned are always thought of when something breaks and they need it fixed.

As for the home made milling machine, I think at one time Lindsay books/Gingery had something. I found something here about it:

http://www.youroldtimebookstore.com/product-p/1128.htm

Got ya! More motivation to finish my 1/16, 90% finished, Stothert&Pitt beam.... Made purely for show....I get many questions,similar to the ones asked of you.. Mostly.. Why? As to the questions.. :confused:

I've run into that some in the ride-on locomotive building circles. The 1-1/2" to-the-footers say if it isn't their scale why bother? (I'm doing 3/4" for several good reasons they just don't get.) Other folks for different reasons say similar things.

My answer is always that I love tinkering with tools in the shop. This is just one project of many I could choose to give me an excuse to be in the shop. If I never run it around a railroad track it will be OK because it is the building of it not the end result that I want. It will be one more thing taking up space (and that the kids will have to deal with when I'm gone) once it is done.

Paul

Thank you

Greetings to all.

I have decided to join in on all the fun that you people are having here. I have been a model builder since childhood. Building cars, planes, what ever could be made with glue paper and balsa and wire. I started to learn to weld around 10yrs of age, and repairing lawn mowers and tractors in the summers, when I was shipped to my grandfathers. My neighbor was a gun smith, so I was amazed at the things that he would make. RC planes and cars, all things mechanical is my passion, especially if they are shiny brass!
I was accepted into an apprenticeship, for tool and Die making in 1978 through a major appliance manufacturer. I have had the chance to experience many different areas of machining, heat treating, wire and sinker EDM, Cad Cam programing, Die design for sheet metal stamping, ect ect. I decided to start collecting equipment in the 90's, starting of with Delta Rockwell v/speed lathe from a school auction. Then a drill press, from a aircraft manufacturer gone out of business,and a belt sander. From there, it was a landslide buying tooling. I was racing go karts back then, so I started building engines for others, I need to be able to do the work at home, so, I bought a new Trumph 3 axis in 97 , then a small surface grinder.
There are so many things yet to learn from others and I am always amazed at the things that others build. Especially, those who have limited tooling, there are a lot of brilliant minds out there. Anything can be done, if you put your mind to the task!

I have built some Briech Models and scratch built engines, and many other things over the years. Currently I am working on Bremen hot air engines, model and the full size.

I am here to learn from others, and maybe I can help others.

Dale

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been hobby machining for about 15 years now. I have built a few wobblers and a Stuart twin Launch engine. No I am starting to get interested in building IC engines, and decided to finally register here.

Danny

Hi guys,
I have just added two penny worth to one of the main stream-posts so thought I'd better introduce myself!!
A resident of the UK ( lincolnshire ) I'm a long in the tooth, 70 year old, retired, in flight engineer with a background that has over the years spanned heavy engineering (Power station Steam turbine manufacture), Electronic engineering, in flight engineering with the R.A.F and after some 18 years, on leaving the service I was appointed works manager to a large furniture manufacturer. Following retirement some six years ago Model boats became my passion and many models later I sought a new challenge and a visit to YOU tube tempted me to have a go at one of Jan Riddings designs. only time will tell how I fare as workshop is minimalistic (mini-lathe, pillar drill, lots of hand tools ) although time is plentiful and thanking the good Lord eyes and hands and legs are all in good working order.
I look forward to meeting you all in the fullness of time in order to pick your brains
Kindest Regards
Minerva
Aka Terry t

PS How do you attach Avatar to posts?

Hi Terry,

One more "70" young man born 1943 calling from faraway Singapore.

Building model steam/petrol/diesel engines and making my own tools and accessories keep me young and mentally alert. On the way to make another
Rotary Table. Being at the far end of UK & USA vendors,to save freight cost
I have to make DIY accessories. The HMEM members been very kind and helpful.Looking forward for your first build.

From another ex-Works Manager(Operations Manager)

Hello fellow machinists world wide!
Let me introduce myself. My name is Corrado & I live in Perth, Western Australia. I am a Panel Beater by trade but work full time as a Insurance Assessor until I retire in 5 years time.
After restoring many vehicles, I decided I needed a different hobby. I turned to Model Boats. Initially electric but then sail & STEAM.
So now the interest in Steam has led me to try & build my own engines.
I am very lucky to have a large garage & have managed to buy a Lathe & Milling Machine. So there it is....I'm looking forward to much Swarfing & sharing stories with you guys.:)
Corrado Ballardin.

I have learned a lot from many here. This is a special place. A gathering of men/women taking common metal and breathing life into it. Something good!

About myself,

2 years, Architectural Technology

1 year, Art Studio

30 Years, Allstate Cedarlite Sunspaces - Carpenter, Glazer and more.

1 year, Clean room designer

3 years, Worked for Surveyor

1 year, Architectural furniture design, Cabinets, counters ect.

Owner RJC Architectural Design - Structural design, Thermal Calculations. All drawing stamped by P. E.

I like to sculpt, paint ( all mediums) draw... ect.

Home Model Engine Machinist and still learning from the best!

Hey Gus,

My grandfather always as far back as I can remember had a home shop and was always building, tinkering, repairing things. His own ideas, and for his business which was photo engraving. He kept on working in the shop as long as he could until his heart got so bad he had to rest after going down the basement stairs before he could start working; basically right up until the last months or so of his life. He made it to 94-1/2 years! And alert and smart right up to the end. We should all be so lucky!

Paul

Hello my name is Bobby, an Instrument & controls tech. & an avid R/C dirt oval racer, I recently purchased 2 Unimat lathes sl1000 & a **100, probably will ask for help. I am not totaly new to this
my Father was BOB SHORES- http://www.bobshores.com/home.html, thank you all this is going to be a fun learning curve for me.

Welcome bobby
your father and now his work Was and is loved in the HMEM community
Tin

Back