Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Gary,

Sounds like you have a nice shop set-up and the skills to go with it! I applaud your volunteer work and can only imagine that while challenging, it must also be most rewarding to be of such help to someone with real needs for which there are no easily available solutions. Good for you and the organization!!!

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to the club, Gary! I may need to tickle your brain about jewelry making some day - my girlfriend and I would like to design our own wedding rings, and possibly make the lostwax mold for them to be cast by a professional jeweler...

- Ryan

Welcome Gary. Sounds like a great workshop

Gary,

Welcome to our forum from a fellow TurboCAD user, (A self taught amateur). wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Welcome to our forum from a fellow TurboCAD user, (A self taught amateur). wEc1

Thanks for your welcome HMEMers, I'm also self taught - and certainly an amateur.

My father made and repaired weighing machines in a small workshop that, from a very young age, I often visited. Somehow, his understanding of metal working seemed to permeate into my head and, in a strange sort of way, I found it natural. I've never taken to wood in the same way. I can do woodwork, but it never seems quite so obvious somehow.

Hi All,
Am the most inexperienced old cuss to ever join here. Live in western NY state;have never operated a lathe -much less a miller but hope to build at least one running scale engine before losing my eye sight. Have enjoyed reading some of the posts and will read many more in effort to learn.
baldy347

Figured I better say hello here. I have been reading many post on these forums for some time now. Seems like a great group of people here.

I have been working in machine shops for about 35 years now. At home I have a nice little shop that I can build most anything I want. Always wanted to build a steam engine and this looks like a great place to get help if I need it.

Bret

Hello to all Enginebuilders,

just a few days registered on this site, so just a very short introduction.

I am Mike from the west of Germany, already over 50 years old. I haven't build any models yet, but I'm not at all new to metalworking. My projects have been 1:1 scale, woodworking machines like saws, mill; repairing farm machinery, things like that.

I have some equipment, lathes, mills, drill press, welders, forge and the usual tools, but you never have enough machines. Sadly there are space and budget limitations, I would like to have a cylindrical grinder, CNC mill and horizontal boring mill too. :(

Planning to do one or two steam engines in the future, so this site is more than just interesting for me. My only contact with model building is a friend who builds railroad vehicles in gauge I (electric and live steam). Occasionally he comes in my shop with a part that's a bit large for his machine tools :D

Mike

Hello all
I am calling myself Draw-Tech because when I retired I started drawing for Inventors at the Space Coast Inventors Guild in Melbourne Fl. I have been a machinist for too many years to count.About 20 years ago I started designing with Autocad, and graduated to Inventor, now runnind my lisenced copy of Inventor 2012 Pro. I have owned a manufacturing company, where I made industrial filtration systems. I have a full shop setup in my garage including Lathe, Milling machine, hand tools, Heliarc welder, etc. In august I started to build David Kerzel's Hit & Miss Engine. I have attached my drawing of that engine & cart I designed to fit this engine, Iam almost to the point of starting the engine. As soon as I learn to post I will post Pictures that I have taken during the building process. I could use some help doing this as this is the first site I have used.

View attachment H & M Assembly.pdf

Hey guys!
Been a member for a while now and thought it about time I make a post.
Just about finished my CNC Lathe and Mill conversion and hope to one day partake in an engine build. (Once I figured out the software side!)
Lot of great builds on here and very dedicated builders.

Thanks FannBlade

hey guys, i just joined, just wanted to introduce myself. i haven't done a scratch built model engine yet but have rebuild many full sized ones. i was trained as a machinist and welder in the airforce and since have worked in factories that make medical supplies such as orthopedic implants and now work in a foundry in the cnc department.

i don't know if i'll ever have spare time to do an engine for myself but would like to stick around and share knowledge, learn and offer my services if i can help with anything.

Hi guys, thought I'd join. I live in Brisbane Queensland, Australia. I'm a bit of a noob with machining and the like. I have had a 3-in-1 for about 3 years now which has mostly only done easy stuff. I decided to try my hand at your Ez steam engine plans and got as far as buying some stock to make it a week or so ago.

However, the project has been deferred for a while on account of developing a fault in my lathe which required a teardown of the lathe.
DSC_2174.jpg

I've got some parts on order from Smithy in the US and think I have got everything else I need. More importantly, I think I have worked out what must be done to put it together so it looks like this again:

DSC_5384.jpg

This has taken me out of my comfort zone so I am taking my time. Hopefully, I will be able to start my first engine project by Christmas...

Welcome Rod. After a teardown like that and a rebuild I'd say you just made your comfort zone a lot biggerThm:

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome Rod. After a teardown like that and a rebuild I'd say you just made your comfort zone a lot biggerThm:

Cheers,
Phil

:fan:
Thanks Phil, Agreed. It has probably been a good thing that parts are taking a week as it has let me take my time, stop at each problem and spend 24 hours thinking it through and researching before doing something. Anyway, it is now all apart, the spindle bearing cups are in the housing and all the gaskets are made. Just waiting for the front oil seal to arrive and it can go back together. You just can't get the front bearing off without busting the oil seal....

Hi All,

Just realised i haven't done one of these. I'm another one of the silent community on here. Love checking in everyday.

I'm from Ireland, a mechanical engineer by profession (working for HP). I grew up in a workshop restoring early 1900's stationary oil engines & tractors, and as the years progressed my father took on more model work too.

Recently moved back to the country, got my first shed after living in the city for 10 years college/work, its very small but it will get there. One step at a time, first steps being floor the attic so it is storage instead of the shed, then get power to the shed, then acquire a lathe.

Anyway that's my lot, keep up the great work,
Kev

Hello Folks

My name is Ungar Laszlo from Hungary. Im very interested the steam engines. Im working in machining technologie. Im making and designing tools. And my hobby is flying and the aeroplane engine making. I was very imperessed my the old steam trains when i was young. In Hungary these steam trains were in the line until 1985 in the main lines!

And now i would like to build some little one for myself.

Laszlo Ungar

Hi guys,
I've had a Taig lathe for around 25yrs now, pretty much with most accessories. I've been turning / milling small stuff with it for years, learning and getting the hang of it. Also into making clock parts and replacement pieces for the odd R/C engine or accessory. As such, I don't need a big lathe. For some stuff, even the Taig is a tad big, so I use an older jewellers lathe for those teeny-weeny-itty-bitty parts.

Been intrigued with quite a few projects that you build. Lot's of really nice projects that give me ideas and teach me different ways to proceed. Hopefully I'll be able to get to something that comes close. We'll see.

Howdy folks,

I'm a mechanical engineer from Ohio/Indiana, but I feel further Southern (or at least "blue collar").

I've already got several posts on the this site... But alas, I've never formally introduced myself.

My handle is Vederstein. About 20 years ago I had a summer job selling tires. They sold a Swedish brand called Vrederstein. I "stole" it as a handle, but unfortunately spelled it wrong. So my handle has nothing to do with Darth Vadar or anything German. It's a mispelling...

Anyways, I've been screwing with model engineering since 2006 or so. I first got a Sieg mini-lathe. It didn't take much time to get a Sieg mini-mill. After realizing their limitations, I got a much larger mill/drill from Harbor Freight and a 1937 12"x36" Sebastion lathe off of Craigslist. Over time I modified the mini-mill to Hoss's CNC conversion running Linux CNC.

I also have a generic 4x6 band saw, a small grinder, and assorted air tools.

I have no experience as a machinist, but I am a degreed mechanical engineer. My career path has led me to design custom machines. Most are for the automotive and medical industry. I am an expert on seals and o-rings. (I work for a leak testing company in Indianapolis).

(Over 15 years of machine design) I've learned that many good ideas are screwed up by overly ambitious designs. Unless you're going for multi-part production, simple is better. The KISS principal is best remembered.

As I said, I have been here some time, but have never announce myself. You can consider this post my announcement.

So as before... Howdy!

My current threads are...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/rotary-engine-build-19630/

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f26/help-d-valve-spool-valve-19592/

Latest posts

Back