Welcome to HMEM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I've created this forum as a place for the home model engine builder to
share thought, plans, techniques and ideas.
Building model steam and atmospheric engines for bar stock is a passion
for me, and I'm hoping this forum will bring together other hobbyists with
the same interests.

Rick

Welcome tattoomike68
Once you build that first one your in trouble!
It's more of an addiction than a hobby! :wink:

That sounds OK to me Rake.
I am in process of building the triple compound from Stuart. Just started on the Castings.
I will be gone for two weeks. See You then.
Hilmar

Welcome Hamar
I've never built an engine from castings myself.
I'm working on a small foundry furnace to make castings.
I'm already bald, but if you see an old guy with no eyebrows in western PA it may be me! LOL

The idea of a dedicated interest forum is great. At the moment I have a single cylinder vertical HasBrouck #10 on the go and when that one is done, the next one is the #8, two cylinder 90 degree V engine. I am trying this system since it is all bar stock and it is a lot of fun carving a part out of a block or round stock. Looking forward to posting a few photos as it progresses. This will only be for the good parts, the mistakes will be under the bench.

Ed Miles

This forum is a great idea.

I've only built two simple, small engines from bar stock so far. I'm planning to build Rudy's Stirling Engine after I get a bit more done on a clock project......my hopes and desires for buidling engines are probably much larger than my free time will ever permit! How can anyone ever be bored?

Mike

Thanks Everyone for your Interest!

Less than 24 hours and we have 22 registered users.
I'm a little surprised but very pleased to see the response.
Please understand that I have No Idea what I'm doing here! :lol:
I believe that together we can make this a great thing for our hobby.

Rick

I have yet to build a model engine, but am looking to start one at some point in the very near future. I build engines for hotrods and race cars, but never had taken a chunk of metal and turned out a working engine. It looks to be a fun and rewarding hobbie!

This dedicated topic specific forum looks to be a great place to share ideas, wisdom, and all of the other things that go along with the forum. I look forward to future visits here.

Rake60, love the site. My father -in - law and I plan on building some engines this winter. He has a 3 in 1 and I have a 6" craftsman lathe. We bum around together going to engine shows when I am off. I see that your from Western Pa. any plans on going to Porterville the beginning of August? Keep up the good work

OK if your in Porterville look for a skinny old bald guy dragging antique
engines up that long hill to parking area. There may well be a wife near
by saying something like. "If you don't kill yourself hauling that junk to
the car you may still not be out of danger."

She's just kidding..... I think! :lol:

I'll be there!

Thanks Rick for the site. This is just what I, and I bet a lot of others, was looking for. This can only help speed me along in my adventures. Only been at this a few monthes. Got four engines done and going for the fifth, er six pack.
Ralph

Rick, it looks like you've got a winning site here! If I keep coming here I might just hafta try my hand at a crude model. Even if I don't, I find this all very interesting! :D

Hi there ,I'm English but I live here in Italy, I've joined a few furums but this one seems more along my lines!, I've only been making engines for a year or so,I started with a Stuart 10H, and it's great to see so many people interested in the same thing!. I've recently finished a liney RV2 ,which is cmpletely from bar stock, a good exercise!....Giles
attachment.php
[/img][/url]

The cnc zone attachments are embedded in the php code so it wont let you hot link the image.

I uploaded it to imageshack. thats a dandy engine, very nice.

boxertp3.jpg

gilessim,
That is really a sweet looking engine, would love to hear it run.

My interest in model engines started a few months back and am presently working on the Jerry Howell V-Twin. I have an attention span of a two year old when I am not getting paid for my work so all personal/fun projects I take on seem to take much longer then first anticipated.

Most of the initial time on this engine is being taken up with creating models of the components in cad. It is so unfortunate that so many of these engine designers choose to withhold actual cad files and only offer printed sheets or .pdf. Partly understandable, I guess.

Ken

Interesting site - now I know what to do with the little bit of spare time I had left...
I've been an electronic tech for about 25 years, and a steam engine nut for about 35 or 40. I've been going to Portersville for 32+ years, and have only missed 2 shows. I'll look for you at the October "fall fling". I'm the guy with the full engineer's outfit - coveralls, hat, bandanna, gray hair.
I've developed an interest in machining in the past few years, and have acquired and restored a Craftsman AA109 lathe and a 9 inch South Bend model B. For my first engine, I'm going to try Rudy Kouhoupt's walking beam engine. A friend of mine gave me an original set of plans, ordered from Rudy in the early '70s. I'll try to post photos as available.

Back