wedge boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.G.Y.

r.g.y.
Reaction score
An unusual boiler designed by a Mr Wedge hence the name. Doesn't refer to the shape as you can see. A water tube boiler built like a stack of logs. My reasons for choosing this design are, first cheapness. I have a supply of free pipe & end cap, already made. Secondly a low centre of gravity. The pipe manufactured for refrigeration plants much thicker wall than domestic, as in the UK. With an internal diameter of 1 inch. The calculations give a safe pressure of 200psi, with safety factor of 8. The working pressure will be 25psi.
Cutting the pipe in the lathe. Drilling the holes, & the bits ready for silver soldering.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

017a.jpg

Glad it's you joining them. Be very fiddly joining them up

Was this boiler type used originally on models or on full size machines? What type? Looks like it would have a very large heating surface factor. Interesting!

Well it has be joined up with out much trouble. Just formed rings of solder around the .5inch connecting pipes before assembly. This design only used in model form, so far as I know.

b 001.jpg

006 (2).JPG

The lining for the casing cut from building insulation block. The outer skin cut from a catering tray, 1/16th steel. All screwed together with small self tapping screws, saved from u.s. domestic equipment. The boiler designed to fit a model paddle steamer. Hence the need for a low G of G. One advantage of the design the chimney can be sited under the models funnel.

034.JPG

033.JPG

b 005a (2).jpg

boiler 001.jpg

new1 013a.jpg

The boiler installed in the model. Only thing missing is the regulator servo, fits over the square with cross.

001 (2).jpg

001a.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMKpGHblHc[/ame]

Video of the engine for the paddle steamer. Running on the bench the boiler at 10psi. The engine twin double acting .5" bore 1" stroke, My own design.

Latest posts

Back