Webster Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
65 Arboc--Don't worry--first engines are like first marriages. the first one is a learner, the second one is a keeper!!!:eek::eek:

Thanks Paul but what do I do with it?:confused:

On my iPad it shows the actual start of the video straight away in the post instead of a link. If it's not working on everyone's like that, I will delete the post, could others let me know if they see the engine video in the post.

Paul.

Edit. I will post some screen captures later today to show you what I see.

Last edited:
could others let me know if they see the engine video in the post.

Your post works for me Swifty but if there's an issue with some people it will because the link you posted has an 'm' at the front. This M denotes that it is a link to the YouTube mobile site rather than the main YouTube site. Some peoples' devices may not handle such a link.

Thanks Cogsy, I will check to see if it appears on my desktop.

Paul.

EDIT. I checked on my desktop and the link worked well, however I re posted the link and there was a slight difference in the text. Should work OK now.

Last edited:
65 now that’s the happiest sound in the world, first IC running. Thm:Don’t stress out about fit and finish its all part of the process, and if you have to make a new part it always goes faster than the first one.
Where else can you have this much fun, and learn stuff at the same time?
Thanks for posting

BMAC2 Yes it's fun and I'm even into the big ones. I have restored 1 already and am working on another, a Hot Tube this time. I have learned a lot about modeling by tearing these full size engines apart! I'm thinking about buying the one in the picture.

Jim

hit miss 2.jpg

I want one! If only I had more room . . . . . I love those old stationary engines. I think that’s why my Webster ended up looking the way it does.

6070 Finished (Medium).jpg

I want one! If only I had more room . . . . . I love those old stationary engines. I think that’s why my Webster ended up looking the way it does.

Looks like a cross between a Kerzel and a Webster. Any way beautiful jobth_wav. Did you make the fly wheels?

Actually ya, there was a VERY heavy Kerzel influence in my build.
Flywheels had always been the bane of my existence. Other than small and solid they would wobble all over the place. I found a reference to a Philip Duclos article on “manually machining curved spoke flywheels”. If you want have a look see post 147 to 171 of the build (yep. 4 pages of flywheel :eek:) (http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23224&page=15 ) Tried to get as much info down as I could but don’t know if it makes any sense to anyone else.

So. Any pick of your collection of 1:1 scale engines? Perhaps a video? :rolleyes:

Actually ya, there was a VERY heavy Kerzel influence in my build.
Flywheels had always been the bane of my existence. Other than small and solid they would wobble all over the place. I found a reference to a Philip Duclos article on “manually machining curved spoke flywheels”. If you want have a look see post 147 to 171 of the build (yep. 4 pages of flywheel :eek:) (http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23224&page=15 ) Tried to get as much info down as I could but don’t know if it makes any sense to anyone else.

So. Any pick of your collection of 1:1 scale engines? Perhaps a video? :rolleyes:

I think you'll like this. It's my first attempt at restoring old engines. This Economy was made in 1918. Cart is home made.

Jim

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOxQ-7Vbq0[/ame]

Guess no one wants to watch:confused:Restoring this Economy really helped me understand why my models wouldn't run.

Arboc--I watched, and yes, it is a beautiful engine. I have built 3 or 4 hit and miss engines at model scale, and they are quite a fascinating concept in mechanical design. ---Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the kind comment, they are amazingly simple also in 1:1. Not so simple to copy all the parts in miniature when your a novice like me. I did build the Kerzel but never got it to run because the flywheels were not heavy enough to carry the inertia. At present I am tearing down a Myrick 5 hp Hot Tube engine from 1946 and it has very heavy flywheels :eek: Glad you liked the video.

Regards,
Jim

Arboc--Your hot tube engine was manufactured the same year I was!!! It is difficult to build scale model hit and miss engines that truly hit and miss the way that the big ones do. It is possible, because I have seen it done, but not all applied physics scale in a linear manner. ---brian

Hot tubes have always fascinated me mostly 'cause I haven't really studied
how they work. I would be very interested in your re-build of one.

See, we do read your posts!! And your engine was made 2 years before me.

Pete

Brian,

I was also born in 1946, December in fact so we are baby boomer buddies I guess!

Pete,

I'll take a few pics tonight and post them when I can. I just pulled the cylinder head off today. Almost too heavy for a 69 yo to be lifting but I find ways to do it.

I know I have a pic of when I brought it home so I'll post it also.

Jim

PS The Economy was made the year my dad was born-1918.

Jim just got a chance to look at the 7 videos you have of that little beauty. I have to say if that is a first attempt it sure turned out nice. Looks great, sounds great and runs like a Swiss clock :bow:. Whenever I see videos of these small utility engines running I can’t help but think of the profound effect they had on society, particularly in farming. Real portable power anywhere you needed it.

Latest posts

Back