webster crank

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotebgone

Reaction score
I am attempting to build my first engine. Most of the plans is very clear. The crank is not.

Is the shaft a press fit?
is the crankpin grease cup press fit?

Thank you for your help.

Herschell

webster crank.JPG

It has been a while since I built my Webster but the original builder turned his between centres in one piece but gave the option of making 3 pieces and silver soldering it together. When I built mine I threaded the parts and used permanent loctite to assemble them. I made the threaded portion of the shaft and crank pin long enough to go right through the flat piece and then trimmed off the excess after assembly. If you have good square shoulders on the threaded part then everything should line up and run true. So far I have not had any problem with anything coming loose.

I silver soldered mine. The grease cup screws into the end of the crankpin--the thread is called up on the right hand side of your drawing. To be truthful, you don't need the grease cup at all. Everything is exposed, so just give it a squirt of lubricating oil before running the engine.---Brian

Latest posts

Back