Weaver 1cc Diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodrigo Castellanos

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

After "finished" my Boll Aero, i had some 1.5" aluminium bar (from Aero Boll head) and Weaver plans.... this really was not a real attempt to build a Weaver, i just want to have fun and see if i was capable to make the crankcase... hoping bad results, or having trouble with measures is i´m really new in my mill. so, i decided to start... so first i turn the crank bearing to dimension and printed the plan at 50% (plan drawn is 200%) and cut a template, glued to the aluminium piece and hopping the best, decided to go the the bandsaw.... My bandsaw is a wood one, so extra care must be taken... decided to glue the piece to srap of MDF to keep the piece far of my fingers, and slowly cutting about 1mm far from the line... sadly, as was a challenge step, no pictures of this stage... but it came nice and safe.
so decided to keep going.
Captura de pantalla 2020-09-21 a las 12.31.47.png

so i put the piece on the late, swing the parting took and start to "Carve" the curved part.. was a hard step, and my parting tool was very thin, having not very good results.. so decided to use the tool i made for my boll head, and had a lot better results.
IMG_7514.JPGIMG_7515.JPG

after really finish that part, decided to try the mill.... holly... this is hard, i have no DRO, or other fancy tools... so first i found the angle of the side cuts... about 8 degrees.. having a nice adjustable vise, decided go that way...

IMG_7512.JPG IMG_7513.JPG

Hi Guys!

had some free time last couple days, so i was able to cut and finish the backplate and crankshaft what was made from 12L14 steel and want to try some case hardening (never done before)

Here changing the gears to get those 32 turns per inch that call the plans....
IMG_7535.JPG

the backplate finished and mounted.... seems will need a gasket :(
IMG_7543.JPG

turning my cankwhaft, a very sharp tool makes life easier!
IMG_7549.JPG

IMG_7550.JPG

fixing my gig for turning the pin, .001" Not bad!!
IMG_7552.JPG

Again, like to glue the piece to some scrap to cut without seeing my fingers close to the saw
IMG_7553.JPG

ready!!!
IMG_7554.JPG

yes!
IMG_7555.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7551.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 269
Hi Guys!

somemore work done last couple days...

Having no boring head for my mini mill, decided to make a gig to bore the top of crankcase in my late.

IMG_7571.JPG

IMG_7572.JPG

Seems to worked very well. and i´m happy with result.

IMG_7573.JPG

Time to start my cylinder.

IMG_7574.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7574.JPG
    IMG_7574.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 271
Hi Guys!

Some work done today.

starting my threads over cylinder.
IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

and once finished, going to the head.
IMG_7598.JPG

Hi Guys!

Some more work over the cylinder, now looks like an engine!

IMG_7606.JPG Now is time to boring that!

IMG_7607.JPG the brass plug is already inside, and using the tool to make some lines and find the center.... this will help me to place the transfer ports as i don´t have a rotary table.

IMG_7608.JPG drilling those tinny holes are a slow step.

IMG_7609.JPG here we go!

IMG_7610.JPG two more to come.

IMG_7611.JPG now looks like an engine!

IMG_7612.JPG Transfer ports tone.

IMG_7613.JPG brass plug already removed from cylinder.

IMG_7614.JPG fit checking! prop plate tapered, the fit is excellent!

IMG_7615.JPG Time to part that!

IMG_7618.JPG time to square that flanger, life is a lot easier with that blue dye!

IMG_7619.JPG yeah!!!

IMG_7621.JPG The inlet port was made making 3 holes 1/16 size, and milled very slowly with a dremel mill bit (maybe was designed for wood, but worked nice)

IMG_E7622.JPG I really like how it looks!

Attachments

• IMG_7620.JPG
    IMG_7620.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_E7621.JPG
    IMG_E7621.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 228
That completed Weaver at the start of your post is my own engine, and I guess you lifted it from Ron's web site. A credit would be nice :)
Ken

Hi KenC!
What a nice engine you build! sorry about that pic... was what i found on google ... that pic was very inspirational and was the one to help me to decide to build one. again, my apologies. Rodrigo

hi Guys!

some more work done today.

now looks like an engine!!

IMG_7621.JPG IMG_7622.JPG

the cylinder flanger is done as well as the inlet.
IMG_7661.JPG IMG_7662.JPG IMG_7663.JPG

Having no rotatory table or Split saw, decided to make my exhaust ports as the inlet... just 2 at 180 degrees.... hope they work
IMG_7667.JPG IMG_7668.JPG IMG_7670.JPG

IMG_7671.JPG IMG_7669.JPG

time to make the boss inlet, with good luck the cylinder have the same diameter as my mill bit!

IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7673.JPG IMG_7674.JPG

and seems to have a nice fit!
IMG_7676.JPG IMG_7677.JPG

time to get some silver soldering and hope everything goes ok as never done before!

Don’t practice on your finish part, use samples and practice until you are comfortable. You won’t be sorry and the final product will be beautiful.
Bill
HI BILL!

today i gave it a try with no luck..... seems my silver soldering is a hi temp and my Mapp torch has not enough temperature... :(

Hi Guys!

After many attempts to solder the inlet boss with no luck using my Mapp torch, decided to went with and old man (94 years old) who have a plumbing service shop, with amazing old tools all around the shop, and ask him if can help me to solder this thing... he said "i don´t use silver soldering for long time... so i don´t have any" and i said: i already bring mine with some flux. so we work together, he heated the pieces and i apply the solder! Work done! not the cleanest soldering in the planet, but at least, my first experience doing that.

IMG_7724.JPG After soldering, decided to start the conrod.

IMG_7725.JPG IMG_7726.JPG here my soldering skills...

IMG_7727.JPG the parts already done...

IMG_7728.JPG started the honed process, still seeing some tool marks on top, so more needs be done.

IMG_7729.JPG everything seems to fit nice.

AD1E45B4-0812-456A-88B9-3835B8E9C280.JPG the inlet well centered!

i´m so happy about how it is going! a lot of learning and a very good way to spend some time... in my next engine i will learn all i can about case hardening.... Being in Mexico, stuff like cherry red is impossible to get, so will try to do my own powder.

Cheers Mates!

If the old man could do it, you can do it too. I can silver braze with propane, MAPP is even better. Is all a matter of technique. Lots of info on the web I do not need to repeat here. The Black flux has a wider heat range and allows more latitude in the heating process. As it was said practice on scraps.

Hi Mauro! MAPP for sure can be used, (i did) but after more than 10 minutes of heat, the scrap pieces did´t reach the right temperature..
The learning is part of the fun!

Cheers
Rodrigo

Very pretty. How does it run?
hi Ken!

well, still working on... the engine wants to run, but noticed a lot of oil and bubbles over the head... so my contra piston was loose... so today i made a new one...
anyway, i´m pretty happy as i been learning a lot, and working with that kind of tolerances are very fun and frustrating... (sometimes)
my crankshaft is a little bit loose as i did´t have a reamer that size, so i only use a drill bit for the bore... but no air leak from there...

Latest posts

Back