• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: saw gearbox

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeusrekning

Reaction score
I have an old wilton 7" bandsaw. The gearbox has kicked it. I can fix in temporarily, but when the blade grabs it shoots the pully shaft almost out of the gearbox. :'( But I remember someone posted and indexer built from one of these gearboxes So I thought I would test my luck.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

PS here is a link to Wiltons site. My saw is a real old version of this same saw.
http://www.wiltontool.com/Products.aspx?Part=3410&cat=333270

Tim
Sorry about the saw. It was an iffy fix, the last time, as I recall. I'll keep my eyes pealed for one.

Steve

What's broken Tim?

If this group can't come up with some ideas on how to make it work....

Well you know what I mean. ;)

Rick

It's probably a worm drive....they seem to be.

Are the gears gone or is it the housing?

Dave

but when the blade grabs it shoots the pully shaft almost out of the gearbox. Cry

Just a guess but sounds like a retaining ring in the box flew away have you opened it up to see if a shop rebuild is doable. You may also have a worn shaft.
Tin

The case is fine for the most part, Not the greatest design but if any of you have access to the newer Wiltons or the imports you will see changes were made. Have to give it to the chineese for copying the latest revisions. ;D On the newer saws there have been more features added to keep the input shaft in place. Something like a wear/thrust plate above the top bearing and a set screw about half way down the shaft in the casing that mine does not have. The bronze gear on my output shaft is shot. It has probably worn down about 10%-20% of the teeth contact area. I had a lead on an almost brand new Wilton for a good price but just can't talk myself into it. I'm sure this one can be rigged just a little more.

Cedge said:
Tim
Sorry about the saw. It was an iffy fix, the last time, as I recall. I'll keep my eyes pealed for one.

Steve

The original fix was a little crappy but it did do what it was supposed to. My memory may be coming back as I type. The original fix was to the cast iron casing where the input shaft comes in. The bearing imediatley above the worm gear was loose in its bore by just a few tenths and could drop out of the bore. So what I did was drilled and tapped ,in the cast iron, for a 1/4-20 nylon tipped set screw to help secure the bearing. Yeah I know..... It was a last ditch effort to get the saw running for the moments need :'(
But what I'm thinking is on my saw you have worm gear, bearing, spacer , bearing, all sandwiched in with retaining clips. The set screw mentioned earlier that I do not have on my saw may be used to secure the center bearing spacer in place???

rake60 said:
What's broken Tim?

If this group can't come up with some ideas on how to make it work....

Well you know what I mean. ;)

Rick
Rick, that sounds like a challenge ;)

steamer said:
It's probably a worm drive....they seem to be.

Are the gears gone or is it the housing?

Dave
Yes, I think worm drive is correct. A steel worm gear (almost like a lead screw) on the shaft coming in. And a bronze helical gear on the shaft going to the blade drive wheel.

I just went thru the exercise of converting my wood cutting bandsaw to cut mild steel. One of the suggestions while I was doing this was to use the transmission from a riding lawn mower to give me a variety of cutting speeds. If you can not fix your current gear box, that may be an option for you.---Brian

Tons of surplus gearboxes out there. If you can't repair what you've got, it shouldn't be hard to find another.

Latest posts

Back