• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Flywheel casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a flywheel casting for my next project. I think I want one about 150mm in diameter, or around the size of a Stuart 10v flywheel. Anyone got a spare one or know a good place to get one?

Kaleb, If you have access to a lathe, why not fabricate one, they are not all that difficult and you could make one to the exact diameter, rim thickness and so on that you require for your project.

BC1
Jim

Kaleb,

Thanks for the info on your location.

RDG have a good reputation for getting things to almost anywhere at reasonable costs.

They do have a couple of basic flywheels at very low cost. Maybe not in the sizes you want, but always handy to have in stock.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Models_and_Steam_Fittings.html

For the smaller sizes, I am lucky that a friend picks me these up and brings them home to the UK for me.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=1146097440

Wheels from both of these vendors machine up very well, especially the LMS ones, as they have been annealed after casting, unlike some from vendors in the UK, which were full of slag and blowholes and also badly aligned side to side whilst being cast.

You pays your money, and you makes your choice.

Maybe someone a little closer to home that does a bit of casting could help you out, or as previously mentioned, turn one up yourself. There are loads of articles on here about doing such things, and it isn't as difficult as you most probably think.

Bogs

You can get one here, but you want to be sitting down when you see the price.
http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/prod2673.htm

For some unexplained reason, flywheel castings have become rather hard to get here these days. Ernie Winter used to carry a good range, but I don't see any listed in his cat. now.

You might look at littlemachineshop.com. They carry some flywheels.

wes was the echo just a little light jesting all is OK bogs
We are all trying to help
Tin

Tin,

I had noticed that.

But at least they got three adverts instead of one, maybe we should start charging them for selling their goods.

In fact, it didn't click with me until you mentioned that they were all from the same manufacturer.

I must get my other brain cell working correctly, trying to work with one is no joke.

Bogs

At the last Cabin Fever show I gave cards to the LMS folks, Gary Martin and the folks at PM research and invited all three to join the board all great folks that love what they do and support the hobby.
Tin

The product looks good, but the postage from the US puts 'em out of contention here in Oz - back to fabricating 'em.

What material did you want the flywheel made of? Im about to make (cast) a pair of approx that size for bench running the marine twin in building. Might make a third if (probably will anyway knowing me.....) you are interested. Where in Aus are you?

Rob

Yes I certainly would be interested, I'm over in Tamworth. Yes, that's right, the Country Music Capital.

The materials, you ask? I would like it to be made of brass, if you can do that. If you can't melt brass, aluminium would do.

Kaleb said:
Yes I certainly would be interested, I'm over in Tamworth. Yes, that's right, the Country Music Capital.

I thought the Country Music capital was Nashville Tennessee in the USA. :hDe:

SAM

SAM in LA said:
I thought the Country Music capital was Nashville Tennessee in the USA. :hDe:

SAM

I don't know about America, but down here, Tamworth is the Country Music Capital. In January, we have a massive festival. The main street and surrounds are closed to cars, and the music from nearly a hundred buskers echos through town.

Nashville is a sorta American Tamworth.

Kaleb, John Buckley lives up your way, might be able to help you out.

John Buckley Engineering Supplies

11 Amaroo Rd Tamworth NSW 2340 2340

He'll be in the book, or contact him at the club.

http://www.tdme.org/about.htm

Latest posts

Back