WANTED...custom casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Just joined the forum a few days ago. Love it, and I'm amazed at all the talented and inventive information that's posted here.

I would like to have some custom casting done. One off pieces, small jobs. I want to find someone who will cast, from my pattern, a masonry, reinforcement star. These were used to prevent brick walls from buckling outwards. Many old buildings, and warehouses, still have these cast iron stars on the walls. The stars are typically about 7" - 12" wide, a little over an inch thick and have a hole in the center of the arms for a threaded rod and nut. Yes, I know that I can buy reproductions, but I have something different, and a little more decorative, in mind.

Living in NYC, means having a small iron-melting furnace would attract all sorts of unwanted attention, so doing the castings myself...even if I had the skills, and I don't...is out of the question.

I will provide the pattern, you provide the skill. I think that casting a star would be a simple matter of pressing the pattern into some sand and then filling the resulting depression with iron. The back of the star is flat, and the simple hole in the center of the star is not super critical, location-wise. I think pouring 1-2 of these stars is a perfect way to use up extra metal, when pouring larger castings...I think. I will also do all the finishing of the casting(s). Just cut off the pouring gate, stick it in a box and mail it out. Done.

So...can you forum members direct me to some backyard founders who will do small custom castings? You can either PM, or, e-mail me: [email protected]

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Frank

I did a rough weight estimate and come out to about 12 lbs, Thats right on the edge of my furnace size. I dont think grey iron is the best choice of material, you would really be looking for ductile iron (outside most home casters abilities) or maybe steel. Thats if your part will be used as a structural reinforcement and not just decoration...

aonemarine: Sorry, I should have stated that the reinforcement stars will just be decorative, wall-hangers. No functional purpose whatsoever....just, eye candy.

I might also, in the future, need some engine parts to be cast in either Aluminum, or Cast Iron.

Thanks for the response.

Frank

If they were a little less weighty I could help you out. I have plans to build a much larger furnace sometime in the near future also.

Back