Want to convert scale drawings to 3D computer files

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunworksco

Rocket Man
Reaction score
Where can I have my steam engine drawings converted to 3D computer files?
Regards,
Giovanni

Depending on where you live, if there is a community college, university nearby offering engineering, architecture etc, I'm sure some hungry student could use the money. As well, perhaps an engineering or drafting firm (bring a previous model if you have one, you'd be supprised how helpfull people can be when they 'see' the hobby) :)

If you do a lot of drawings, I'd get the software and do my own, then I can email the drawings to a local printing company and have the drawings done on a large format printer (which most of us can't afford) at a very reasonable price.

My 2 pesos,
Chazz

How many components on this drawing? If it isn't too big I could do it for you I can export UG Catia, parrasolid,step,iges or stl files. This is what my real job is I've been a tool design engineer for quite some time. If you want I could take a look and if it isn't to much I'd take it on for you just let me know.

There is nothing on that list that will convert a 2D cad file to 3D , I have not yet come across any software that can , but there are plenty of software solutions of varying sophistication depending on your ability to learn and the amount of money you wish to spend.
There are free programs and industrial strength programs which cost an arm and a leg , and many in between.
I use and can recommend 2D/3D ViaCad , for about 100 USD . I found it easy to learn and after ten minutes with a tutorial had a basic grasp of the concept .
It doesn't take long before you can produce drawings such as this
Arielmotionbkt.jpg

or rendered like this

misalignment.jpg

If you don't want to learn how to do it yourself there are "3D modellers" for hire through the Shapeways.com forum who offer their services at a price.
Dan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back