Want a challenge?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it these "super whiz bang" inventions never have a working prototype?

I bet it is a still birth.

I was quite impressed with the version running on propane but I can see so many issues. Just wait till one of the timing gears goes/wears and you'll bend more than a valve!

R.

So its a piston type turbine engine thingy. Relies on the compressor/turbocharger to keep the exhaust from entering the intake.

Like to see it run up to 6000 rpm while I back far, far away.

Robert

Somehow, I think I might leasve doing one of those to the 'other bloke'!

I wanna be behind Robert when it lights up!

mklotz said:
A friend sent me this...

http://www.circlecycleice.com/

Get to work, guys. It's a guaranteed POM if you build one.

I wonder what them guys were smoking? Sure wasn't normal cigarettes. Just because you can build one in the computer doesn't mean that you can build one in real life and have it work. :big: :big: :big:

Cheers :)

Don

;D Didja take a look at the compression rings? Engaging and disengaging several set of those every cycle ..... :hDe:

dsquire said:
I wonder what them guys were smoking? Sure wasn't normal cigarettes. Just because you can build one in the computer doesn't mean that you can build one in real life and have it work.

But they have built them, and they DO work. Mostly small demonstration models, but larger ones are in testing. If you look at the video link, they show one running on propane. Looks to me like it's running at a pretty good clip, too.

Sheesh, you guys sure are a bunch of naysayers.

rleete said:
But they have built them, and they DO work. Mostly small demonstration models, but larger ones are in testing. If you look at the video link, they show one running on propane. Looks to me like it's running at a pretty good clip, too.

+1

I stand corrected about a working prototype. Earlier, those video links didn't work on my computer.

Metal Butcher said:
Prints please!

I've seen how you customize engines, you need no plans. Think of it as one completely customized design!

Not at all, you, or any one else, is quite welcome to build as many as you want BUT I won't be putting my name on the list.

rleete said:

A company that I worked for had a Chairman of the Board who hated engineers with a passion - we were all "too conservative" and tended to say things like "it won't work" and "we tried it before and it didn't work" etc. etc.

Unfortunately we have seen all to many bright ideas that are fundamentally flawed.

From my perspective, that is a unique and interesting concept but I can see dozens of problems and expenses whilst not seeing any concomitant advantages over a more conventional engine.

So cute - but there's nothing there.

Sorry but I'm a born again skeptic.

Ken

You “can” build a boat out of sugar cubes. If you use the right glue, and seal it with the right paint, it will work. . . However just because you “can” do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

I’ve taken a close look at this design. As a mechanical engineer, I see no practical application for this engine. The machine has a disproportionate number of moving parts, and has significant bulk for its displacement. There are very tight angular positional requirements that are maintained by a complex gear cluster. Which leads one to ask – what happens when an appreciable load is placed on this engine, and the moving parts begin to wear? Don’t get me wrong, the engine is very cool – but this guy will never recover the time and money that he’s invested into the project - nor will any of his investors.

No engine builder in the world will purchase this patent for large scale production. There’s too much mass, positioned WAY too far from the rotating axis. Consider that an average automotive flywheel will generate several tons of centripetal force during rotation. It holds together because it’s a solid chunk of metal, and the shear stress is distributed over a large surface area. Now attach pistons and cylinders to the flywheel with cantilever pins, then install a gear cluster to keep everything parallel. The shear forces from roation alone will rip a larger version of this machine to shreds, in very short time. . .

He’s also trying to worm out of the EPA’s catalytic converter requirements on page 3 (probably because there’s no feasible way to connect one. . . ) There are two main problems with this. First, there is no such thing as complete combustion. All engines will emit unburned hydrocarbons. Second, attempting to control hydrocarbon emissions through elevated combustion temperatures will cause significant nitrogen-oxide production (which is another big EPA no-no). The EPA will require an EGR system for reducing nitrogen-oxide. This will lower the combustion temperatures, resulting in elevated hydrocarbon emissions – which he will then need to correct by installing catalytic converters. This is basic engine design stuff. . .

Entropy,

Your observations are quite true ....and the old addage applies...

" Any fool can make something complicated....it takes true genius to make something simple!"

Dave

After seeing this, I threw my nearly completed, working ion engine model into the trash. But now that I have read some of the comments about how this circular thingamajiggee could never work, I'd like to get my ion engine back but alas, it's been hauled to the dump already.

As we speak, there are fully functional gas-ion propulsion systems pushing satellites into deep space.

There are not however any Circlecycleice engines currently deployed - within any automobile, boat, airplane, motorcycle, generator, etc – anywhere on Earth. I wouldn’t hold your breath for one to come on the market anytime soon either.

Back in the 1950s, the Department of Transportation wanted to cut a highway through the Rocky Mountains using atomic weapons. Although it would’ve technically worked, the Department of Energy voted against the idea. . . .

Troutsqueezer said:
But now that I have read some of the comments about how this circular thingamajiggee could never work.

I don't think anyone is saying it won't work - its just simply impractical.

Lots of ideas "work" but for practical reasons fail evaluation, prototyping and ultimately the marketplace economics.

The steam powered car.

The nuclear powered airplane (one actually flew - cruised - it did not have enough power to get itself off the ground).

And dare I say the Wankel rotary engine - although an elegant idea has to all intents and purposes been a failure.

Ken

Latest posts

Back