Voting on Engine of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Every month it gets harder to pick a winner. There are so many factors to consider that determine the skill, talent and various other attributes of the builder, or do we simply pick what looks like would me the most difficult for the voter to do?

How does one compare a complicated CNC made model from a downloaded program to a simpler model of innovative design made on manual machines? Throw in the the models from castings and all the plans available on the net and judging becomes a nightmare.

As others have said on the June projects, there are three winners, but all in different categories. It is painfully obvious, that we can't have a hundred different classes to accommodate all the different types, or we would spend all our time judging and nobody would be making models for the following month.

You know Stan, I have been having that very same question roll around in my head this past week or so. ??? I do not by any stretch of the imagination mean ANY disrespect to the nominees be they past OR present. :bow: What is it that drives the voter's selection decisions? scratch.gif Is it how the engines are photographed/displayed? Or is it based on the engines perceived complexity? I don't have any answers. :shrug: Personally, I like variety, that is, engines other than the many "wobbler" series of engines that are so common, albeit some of them are quite stunning. (this months winner for example Thm:) I also appreciate the novice's first build, even with the machining marks showing (call them character flaws if you will) just as much as some of the more in-depth, CNC generated models with all of the bells and whistles hanging on it. I guess that I am too old fashioned, but too bad, that's just who I am. :toilet:

BC1
Jim

I am afraid it is a sad state of affairs this forum is in! Just too may talaeted and helpfull members.

Ian (seagar)
toung in cheek,lol.

Hi On the subject of cnc it not just a case of down loading a program, it takes a lot of effort to say convert a machine , learn cad then the cam program, are we going to stop using HSS and Carbide cutters and go back to carbon steel tooling, think not

It IS tough to weigh out all the factors in voting for the Project of the Month.

Please keep in mind that it was never intended to be a competition.
It is intended to be an inspiration.

Rick

One of the nominations will have that certain something which attracts/inspires you above the others.

Pick the one you think has that certain something which attracts/inspires you and vote for it.

Don't try to psychoanalyze it just do it.

Every completed project is a winner for the person who made it.

Best Regards
Bob

Rich, Bob, you are right of course. It becomes way too easy to get caught up in the moment, when all of the nominations are so good, and even easier to overlook the simple pleasure of witnessing a fine engine in its completed state and on display. Vote and vote often :big:

BC1
Jim

perhaps maybe pick a category of cnc made models for one month and manual machine made the next month and so on.
although i like all the models. maybe even a newbie class of builders for a month.

As some may have noticed I have taken a casual by stander aproach on the Engine /project of the month. Nothing at all against it just chose not to get involved. You are right hard to choose,
How do you choose should it be based on the finished product or the journey.
Every project posted here is an accomplishment for the builder. I have wondered about categories but think that could easily get out of hand.
I will say it is not a popularity contest or a competition even.
Tin

It is a harder choice to make every month.

I have set the nominees project pictures so they link
to the story of the build. I hope everyone will will take a
few minutes to read those threads to see those stories.

It was never intended to be a popularity contest or an unfair
comparison between a beginners first build compared to a master
builders recent effort. It should be about which nominated effort
had the greatest influence on YOU.

Rick

Back