Vo-Tech school shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dorsey

I'm building a Stuart 10V using a local vo-tech shop for the machinery and my basement shop for drilling, filing, fitting, and assembly. The class costs $170 for twelve weeks, so two and one half hours of machine time each week works out to $5.67/hr. to "rent" the shop. Of course, I'm not alone in the shop, but there is an 8' shear (1/4" cap.), manual bending brake (4'), rolling mill, vertical mill, South Bend 16" lathe, 24" metal band saw, a 12" horizontal band saw, punch press, arbor press, and about a dozen industrial-strength (440v) welders (GMAW, GTAW, and SMAW).

Another benefit is the huge pile of scrap material available at no extra cost. Since I ruined the cast iron bar that came in the Stuart kit, I quickly found a piece of 1 3/8" mild steel rod as a replacement. Much better than buying a three foot length from my supplier, when I only need 1/2".

I'd recommend that anyone look at this kind of facility in their area.

Dorsey

Dorsey,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome
What part of Jersey are you from?
Do you know about Cabin fever? Are you planning on attending?
Tin

Welcome, welcome welcome. Look forward to seeing some of your work. Metal Mickey...

Back