Virtical steam engine build.

Help Support HMEM:

darwenguy

Reaction score
Hi all, im going to get working on this engine again between jobs.
20210513_153539.jpg

I started it about 3 years ago and it been sat on the shelf since.
Its based on a design at 'Jhon-tom steam plans' page 3 the 4th one down, 'virtical single cylinder steam engine'
I changed a few details to make the castings. Ive already made a boiler and a generator so realy need to get this finished to join the two together.
20210513_153156.jpg

I made a mistake when i machined the cylinder and so had to solder another bit of brass onto the cylinder but it should still work fine.
20210513_153134.jpg

I have already built this engine to the same design but twice the scale. So this is what it will look like when finished but half the scale..

darwenguy

Reaction score
Finished casting the rest of the parts for this engine today. Not the best looking castings but im pleased i got the valve conrod to fill. I have made some pretty awkward pices to machine, il get started machining soon.
20210517_155140.jpg

darwenguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the castings i make using 'mansbond' oil petrobond sand.
Its much finer than the regular water bonded sand and gives great deatail. I would highly recomend it.
Best regards.
Luke.

MAG

Reaction score
Are you making the Patterns your self? and if so out of what material the castings look great.

darwenguy

Reaction score
Are you making the Patterns your self? and if so out of what material the castings look great.
Cheers, the patterns for this were 3d printed then plenty of paint and sanding to a nice finish.

MAG

Reaction score
I have a 3D printer any chance I can down load the files from Thingaverse I would like to try and build that engine.
Or are they on a different site?