vintage milling machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMac

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm slowly setting up a small workshop at home I already have a 280X760mm Chinese lathe and I've done light milling using a mill slide fitted to the cross slide that works fine but it's not ideal anyway I've kinda brought a horizontal milling machine in disassembled form my guess is it's about 18-1900s it looks similar to one Dave Gingery based his mill on. the name cast into the side is( O G Garrious Machine Co Bristol Conn No 2 Bristol Miller) hopefully someone may have heard of them. When I eventually get it home (it weighs a bit) I was going to repaint it and i might have to make a spindle that accepts mt2 it does have some original wheel cutter tooling and it's still got flat belt drive the guy that I brought it off showed me a lithograph in an old book showing it assembled and it looks to be a very early profile mill as a rigid profile was bolted to the bed and a worker wound the bed and lifted and lowered the spindle. Ill post pics when I get some

Thanks
Paul Mac

thought i better put some pics up here's one from the manufacturer and some of my machine and what I've done so far

Thanks
Paul

Untitled.jpg

DSCF4969.jpg

DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4985.jpg

DSCF4986.jpg

DSCF5082.jpg

Looks like a very solid machine. I shall be following with great interest

oops i forgot to say about some of the pics the spindle shaft although in good condition it uses a nearly unobtainable taper known as brown & sharp #9 so i'm building a new shaft that will use a #3 morse taper the shafting is 63.5mm 2½" diameter 4140 steel 600mm 2' long .I started machining it with regular tool steel but got sick of re sharpning it svery cut so i brazed some carbide inserts onto some barstock then finaly bit the bullet and brought carbide tipped tooling the smallest part of the shaft is about 1" so by my guestimation the finished part will be about 50% lighter

Thanks
Paul

Latest posts

Back