viewing pages

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourne Bill

Reaction score
when I open up a web page, I have to move the page side to side to read it all the way across the page. can this be fixed? I m using windows X P home edition. thanks in advance for your help... Bill

when I open up a web page, I have to move the page side to side to read it all the way across the page. can this be fixed? I m using windows X P home edition. thanks in advance for your help... Bill

Bill
go to/click on
"START"
"Control Panel"
" Display"
Settings is the tab on the right
click on that
Increase resolution by sliding the little marker
Then hit apply
I am using XP pro but home should be the same or similar.
This will make your type size appear smaller but the whole page will fit on your screen.
You can always change back if you do not like it.
Hope this is clear enough for you.
Tin Falcon

Bourne Bill said:

Control + and control - should expand and decrease the size of most web pages.

Even easier is Cntrl plus the scroll wheel. This works in Firefox - don't know about other browsers.

Just tried Control and the scroll wheel in Windows Explorer. Works there too! Great tip!
Dennis

mklotz said:
Even easier is Cntrl plus the scroll wheel. This works in Firefox - don't know about other browsers.

I just tried it, and WOW it works! Thanks! :bow:

Being new to computers this is a very useful trick to aid my failing eye sight. ;D

Now, if I can just remember this with my failing memory! :big:

-MB

It's a small wheel between the two switches on most every mouse. One rotates it with the index finger to scroll (hence the name) the page on the screen up and down.

If you're using a very old mouse, you may not have one. Or perhaps you're using a laptop. I don't (use a laptop) so I don't know if they have a scroll wheel equivalent. If they don't, you'll have to use the Ctrl +/- mentioned above.

Old post but no replies so here goes...

It's probably down to a combination of your Windows screen resolution and the particular sites you're viewing. If the creator of the page has specified some horizontal dimension in absolute rather than relative terms e.g. specifying some part of the page is x number of pixels wide rather than 100% of the browser window can cause the problem.

You can prove this to yourself quite simply...

Create a new text file called test.txt and type in this line...

<hr width=2000>

Save the file, rename it as test.html then open it in your browser. Unless you have one-helluva-screen (TM) you'll see the line at the top extends off to the right of the window (you need the scrollbar to see it all).

Now change the line to read...

<hr width=2000%>

The line will occupy '2000%' (100% really) of the window.

Back