Video of Ellwe Diesel? Running

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard about model diesels, and one-cylinder Listers having to be de-carboned every so often, and so I guess there are some tradeoff's with diesels.

My dad had a gasoline 4-cylinder Continental engine on the transit lumber car at his mill, and he replaced it with a 2-cylinder Lister.
The Lister worked much better, and had a lot more torque.

Diesels have some significant torque, and in general I think are built heavier than a gasoline engine.

I don't recall any multi-cylinder full sized diesel having to be de-carboned.

Some of it may have to to with running a diesel with light loads, which I have heard can be prone to problems, maybe because the combustion space is not reaching its maximum temperature.

Last edited:
Hi Roger B !

Maybe I'm wrong to say that, I'm sorry .

More....
My 10 cc engine runs fine with a 2.4mm diameter pump cylinder so I don't think you need to worry too much about the pump cylinder diameter, somewhere between 2 -> 2.5mm is fine.
With the IN ball valve, the spring only works to hold the ball in the closed position with a very very light force
I know what I'm saying is a bit different than you calculated but it's fine with my engine
View attachment 144817
Hi Minh,

I think the difference in fuel tank heights is due to me using an inlet port and helix plunger rather than a ball valve for the inlet to the injection pump. It will work with a lower fuel tank but is more stable with the tank raised.

Hi Roger B !

Maybe I'm wrong to say that, I'm sorry .

More....
My 10 cc engine runs fine with a 2.4mm diameter pump cylinder so I don't think you need to worry too much about the pump cylinder diameter, somewhere between 2 -> 2.5mm is fine.
With the IN ball valve, the spring only works to hold the ball in the closed position with a very very light force
I know what I'm saying is a bit different than you calculated but it's fine with my engine
View attachment 144817
That engine is a work of art!

Latest posts

Back