Vices Size?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I have a SX3 and I find 4" to be the best size. for anything larger I would suggest a two piece low profile vice.
Mark T

My SX3 is fairly well redundant now but I had a 4" vice fitted, did plenty of miles with it.
Some people run a 6" but I reckon they look out of proportion, don't think there would be any harm though

Couldn't tell you maximum weight, I do know that the dovetail on the Y axis (machine base) is quite thin, would go easy on it and the machine should serve you well.

Baz.

I know that the theory is a bigger vise is more rigid so get the biggest that will fit the mill. It also helps to get a Kurt type where the moveable jaw moves down as it tightens and finally the vice needs to be precision ground so that parallels sit correctly and other surfaces are consistent with the mill surfaces.

Choosing a vise should be done wisely as it will become a once in a lifetime purchase.

I decided that the ideal size vise for my small mills would be a 3 inch however they are not easy to find. I ended up buying two 2 inch precision vises that are identical. They are rigid enough for the small parts that I make and with two you can hold long work pieces.

The rotary base option is rarely used so removing it will gain working height.

The biggest problem that I had with a big vise was that it obstructed the controls so smaller was better, at least in my case.

My thoughts for your consideration. They are probably contrary to the general wisdom, as usual.

Back