VFD for lathe, sensorless vector

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hacklordsniper

Reaction score
As im upgrading my lathe with VFD and larger motor, i have 2 options in sensorless vector control. It is speed control or torque control, which one is better for lathe and why?

As im upgrading my lathe with VFD and larger motor, i have 2 options in sensorless vector control. It is speed control or torque control, which one is better for lathe and why?

I would have to say speed control. The only drive technology I have any experience with torque control is for large extruders in the plastics industry. I would think that running at a fixed speed is more important than a fixed torque.

However this thought did come to mind, would torque control compensate for diameter variance in facing operations? I don't really believe it could be reliable that way. Some drives can switch dynamically between the two methods and some after a reconfiguration. If the drive is capable of this then you certainly could do some testing, in the end I think speed control would be easier to work with.

You definitely need speed control. If you try torque control then you will end up breaking things and also getting an aweful surface finish.

Back