veterans day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is Armistice Day- the 11th Minute 11th Hour of the 11th Day in 1917 when the guns stopped firing.
Today the Brits celebrated the 100th Anniversary when an unknown body of a British Soldier was laid to rest amongst the Kings and the Greatest and took pride of place amongst them. The scene today was in Westminster Abbey in the Heart of London. ped- gongs worn and our Veterans Badges etc affixed.
Have a great day.
Best wishes

ex-Corporal Atkinson. N
Royal Air Force 31 ( The Goldstars) Squadron

Today is Armistice Day- the 11th Minute 11th Hour of the 11th Day in 1917 when the guns stopped firing.
Today the Brits celebrated the 100th Anniversary when an unknown body of a British Soldier was laid to rest amongst the Kings and the Greatest and took pride of place amongst them. The scene today was in Westminster Abbey in the Heart of London.
Have a great day.
Best wishes

ex-Corporal Atkinson. N

I'm working today, but thinking about all the veterans and active duty personnel out there.

Along with wry thoughts about how we thought that the Great War was the War to End All Wars -- we kinda missed on that prediction. Need to keep working on achieving that, or at least achieving as peaceful and just a world as can be managed.

Today the Brits celebrated the 100th Anniversary when an unknown body of a British Soldier was laid to rest amongst the Kings and the Greatest and took pride of place amongst them. The scene today was in Westminster Abbey in the Heart of London. ped- gongs worn and our Veterans Badges etc affixed.
Have a great day.
Best wishes

ex-Corporal Atkinson. N

I think you'll find it was 11:00am precisely (Paris time) on the 11th of November 1918. Had the war finished in 1917 my great-grandfather would not have perished in it...

According to some sources, the Spanish 'flu occurred almost immediately after the 1918 Armistice.

It is estimated 500 Million deaths happened.This was more than the deaths in 4 years of World War1

Yes it was.... partly exacerbated by the poor health of many nations after nearly 5 years of war deprivations, the movement of a million people from France back to USA and other homelands, and no real appreciation of the value of Quarantine.
A story we should all learn at school. Why? - Because it is the Global history of us all. There are lessons to be learned, but the most significant is that "Nature rules all" - including mankind.
There will be more pandemics in future, because that is nature.... How the various societies in different affected countries can cope, is mainly down to a combination of Wealth and Education.

May you all survive this one. - And get back to recording small pieces of "History" by making models and by keeping alive skills that shaped the world we inhabit.

Incidentally... Anyone remember major vaccination programmes because of a nasty disease? e.g. I remember this one:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18365385https://smallpox1962.wordpress.com/...d6fb1df7eae7c95ad1d794799fee1339#comment-3815
The thing I find curious is that the reaction to the current Pandemic by most people I meet is one of simple disbelief - that "Nature" can disrupt modern society so dramatically. While following the rules, most people seem really angry that we have to have rules, and again that the news broadcasts so many reports of people obviously flouting the rules. Whv all the anger? - Stiff upper lip and get on with it!

Brrrrr! - Nearly got emotional there!
K2

While following the rules, most people seem really angry that we have to have rules, and again that the news broadcasts so many reports of people obviously flouting the rules. Why all the anger?
It's just like any safety rules, ignore them at your peril, the larger problem with ignoring the pandemic rules though, is that while you might survive you might give it to several people that don't.

It's Back to Nazi Germany and 'brainwashing'.

Few seem to have received a Classical Education. We are told what a government thinks that we should know.
Let's face it, this pandemic was aroundBEFORE March of this year. We shut down in February, We were told NOT to wear masks! In fact, we that is a group of Freemasons were buying masks in China for distribution to staff in old people's homes. We were thinking for ourselves and our Chiinese were buying dir ect from our Chinese contacts . How many lives were actually saved is unknown - but we put our hands in our pockets in trying.
No, it is not widely known and we were buying not only for our own masonic old folks home. We are not like that.. oh and that reference to smallpox- the cure was from a Masonic doctor who didn't want publicity, he just wanted to work in his practice and have a drink with his lodge.

So we( Brits) had our Poppy Day Appeal but who knows how much money was NOT donated- because of covid-19.
The Royal British Legion hasn't said anything yet. My little province found £15, 000 last year to get the local legion club out of debt. Clears throat- modesty forbids further comment.

Latest posts

Back