• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Very Cheap Bridgeport - UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCab

Reaction score
Click here .............. at the present time (21 hours to go) it's at £23 ($46) ............... although they do say ........... "not for precision work" ???

Just for when the link expires ...................

Bridgy_1.jpg

:eek: CC

Hi

Is that cheap or what. Almost worth building a new workshop to put it in. How would you sneak that home without SWMBO spotting it.

Cheers

Rich

Hmm, makes you wonder what it needs to make it "FOR precision work" ::)

ksouers said:
Hmm, makes you wonder what it needs to make it "FOR precision work" ::)
Let me count the ways : :big: ... new head, motor, spindle, quill, table ways, columns, probably get more $ out of the scrap value ?? .........

tem Specifics

Condition: Used

This old girl is loose and noisy but works ok, only not for precision work!

Rather see someone load her up than send her to the scrap yard.

Sold as seen with no warranty, recommend viewing before buying.

Apparently VERY used ::)

just for interest ............. it eventually went for just over £300 ($600) :( ............ considering it's (allegedly) pretty knackered it seems some folk have far more "brass than brains" ::)

CC

I dont know about not having brains but maybe the bloke that bought it probably has the werewithall to fix it up and sell it on! for that money it will sell on the name alone, the average bloke would'nt even been able to get the lifting equipment in place,let alone a truck to put it on! thats my two penn'orth i know nothing about mills, but at least it has not gone for scrap!
Regards Max.............

"but at least it has not gone for scrap!"

tragically at that price we cant be sure it hasn't with the value of metal at present. We can only hope it hasn't.

Kind Regards

Malcolm

max corrigan said:
the average bloke would'nt even been able to get the lifting equipment in place,let alone a truck to put it on! Regards Max.............

Hey Max, read the Bridgeport thread in the General section. You can see how the average bloke moves a Bridgeport into his basement. ;D

Regards,
Bernd

I must say I am surprised. Usually the terms "some signs of wear" or the like means that one needs to take a very close look at the unit before a purchase. When the seller has these kinds of phrases it usually is an indicator that there is some problems somewhere. When this seller said "not for precision work", my first thought was this machine has been dogged and abused during its life. The picture doesn't necessarily confirm it... But the machine looks like it has been rode hard and put up wet.

Who ever the new owner is, I wish them well. That one will take a lot of TLC to resurrect!

some signs of wear
renovators delight
handy man special
only driven by little old lady

sorta like a "honest politician" or "man of the people" to me they all ring bells and not dinner ones neither

with the economy going the way it is globally i think there will be good buys if you have cash dollars in a few months but do inspect closely before crossing anyones palm with your hard earned silver.

cheers

jack

Precision doesn't come from the machine.

(Oh ****, Here he goes with another boring story.)

About 20 years ago I was trying to bore a bearing fit in a new railroad
wheel on a tired old vertical boring mill. The fit had a .0005" tollerance
and the head was tapering .003" over the 2" depth of the bore.

An older gentleman working near me noticed my frustration and came over
to see what was going one. I explained my problems and he very paciently
gave me an answer. He said:

"Machine tools are precision instruments but they are never perfect.
It's the job of a machinist to read the mood of the tool and trick it into
doing what it needs to do. You just go off the top size of that bore and
bump that tools away .0005" every .5" and you'll have a straight bore.
If it was easy it wouldn't pay what it does."

I bored that bearing fit to a perfect size that night and grew up a LOT
as a machinist in that shift.

It became less of a personal challange to run the machines and more of
challange to BEAT the machine.

Rick

rake60 said:
(Oh ****, Here he goes with another boring story.)

It's learning and laughing with a dose of reality here and there. Heck, let 'em fly!

rake60 said:
"Machine tools are precision instruments but they are never perfect.
It's the job of a machinist to read the mood of the tool and trick it into
doing what it needs to do."

This is one of those
1087.gif
moments when the light comes on! I have to say that I realize this fact, but have never looked at it from that perspective! Thanks for sharing that!!

Back