Vertical I.C. Rupnow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a long time to wait for O-rings. If you've got a local bearing supply shop (like CBC or SKF, etc.) they've likely got them on the shelf, or at least can get them in very quickly.

Thanks Cogsy. I did buy from CBC bearings but the only O ring that was close, ended up being a fraction too big and I sheared a bit off the outside of the ring when I inserted it into the cylinder.

Herbie--When you try to put a piston with the ring on it into the cylinder, you should use lots of 30 or 40 weight lubricating oil on the cylinder and on the ring and piston. If it is possible to insert the piston from the bottom of the cylinder, then you should machine a slight tapered lead in at the bottom of the cylinder and polish the entry to break any sharp edges with some 200 grit carborundum paper while the cylinder is still in the lathe. If you have to insert the piston from the top of the cylinder, where a tapered lead is not acceptable, then at least break the sharp edge at the top of the cylinder bore with a bit of 200 grit carborundum paper. you can't just push the piston straight in, or you get the results you have already seen----shearing the outer diameter off of the ring and ruining it. It is a bit of an art.---I always make it a point to have the connecting rod attached to the wrist pin in the piston to use as a "handle". Insert the piston from the bottom of the cylinder, and "wiggle" it a bit as you try to get the ringed area into the cylinder bore. ---Brian

Thanks Brian. Some good logical information there. I guess, being a novice, I am falling for all the little traps out there.

Herbie---that's called "paying your dues". There is so much to this small engine building that you could never learn it all from a book. You learn by building them. If/when you get this engine to run, you will immediately start looking for another engine to build.

A small up date
I still have to install a set of points and condenser and look for a coil,

DavidLloyd,

DDT_5219.jpg

DDT_5220.jpg

DavidLloyd--that is a spectacular looking engine. I am still waiting for the first person building this engine to have a runner.---Brian

Not yet Brian. Estimated delivery is from the first to mid November. Really hoping they come this week.

Herbie,
If you can send me a private messages with your address I will mail you two of them for free,

DavidLloyd,

A small up date
I still have to install a set of points and condenser and look for a coil,

DavidLloyd,

Dave

Another great job

We still need to catch up on ignition for you. In the meantime head off to the scrap yard and get hold of a plug mounted ignition coil that fits directly on the plug. The one I use comes from a Subaru but that's the the way ignition is done these days so there should be plenty to choose from. They are compact and easy to get to work, including if you want to use a hall effect switch instead of points.

Pete

DavidLloyd--that is a spectacular looking engine. I am still waiting for the first person building this engine to have a runner.---Brian

Brian,
Disaster happen on my small I.C. engine. I had it running a bit rough but running and then Disaster I dropped the intake valve that small pin came out of its keeper and the valve dropped down into the cylinder,

DavidLloyd,

DDT_5243.jpg

DDT_5247.jpg

At least it ran Dave

Shouldn't take too long to make a new valve.

Thanks for the tour yesterday and also the blocks of CI

Cheers
Bruce

Dave - in your capable hands I'm sure you'll have sorted pretty soon.

Like Bruce, thanks heaps for the tour, awesome shop and a setup to aspire to but likely many years in the future. :thumbup:

Cheers,
James.

Bruce and James,
Your welcome for The tour,

The worst thing was loosing the intake valve spring that I had working so good.
Will make a new valve and spring plus a new pin,
DavidLloyd,

David--seems like you are going to be the first person with a runner. Really looking forward to it. If you get a video up, please mail me the link to it so I can see it run. Videos no longer work for me on this forum and I can't figure out how to fix it.---Brian

Hopefully not far behind you David. Keeping a close watch on the mail but alas, just bills and no O rings yet.

You guys are making me jealous. Probably won't be until Thanksgiving before I get to go back into shop. Last week of Nov for those not in USA.

Back