Vederstein's Five Cylinder Wobbler - Finished!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
I'm considering my version of the "hula" engine done. This engine was of my own design. The action of the engine was others though.

It's not perfect, but then I'm not a perfectionist.

I didn't really modify far from my original plans (here). I believe if one followed the plans explicitly, they would have a running engine.

This wasn't a super hard engine and would be a good project for someone that's done a couple of single piston steam engines.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECPF-yaPjU[/ame]

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

I love these 'Old Style' engines.

It was what this site started on, bar stock engines, and it allowed almost anyone to have a go making one.

But of course, things get better and people improve and so much more complex engines are being made and shown.

In fact in the early days we had to have a vote whether we would allow engines from castings to be shown.

Nice one V.

John

I've been watching your creation as it progressed Robert. It looks WAY cool running! Something to be proud of for sure.:thumbup:

What pressure does it run on?

As seen in the video, it will self start at 18-20 psi. With a bit of help, it will run on 10-12. The cylinders are single acting so it's not as powerful as one might expect for a five cylinder steam engine.

My biggest screw up is on two of the cylinders, the chamfer on the back is too big. Therefore pressure ports are open to atmosphere at certain times. Therefore it wastes a lot of air.

I could remake the cylinders, but I just don't want to. As I mentioned above, I'm not a perfectionist.

Thanks,

...Ved.

Great looking engine. Thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Back