Vapour carburettors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Gday all

I'm thinking about making a quick and easy vapour carburettor for quick and easy engine testing before I go into depth for a more permanent setup. I just wanted to know if the vapour carby works with nitro fuel? My concern is that the oil won't evaporate into the gas and be left behind. Is this the case? Or am I worried about something that won't happen?

Thank you all for your time

Andy

Hi Andy

The Vapor carburator will work with Nitro fuel as well, because the working principal is the same. And yes, you are right , the dissolved oil in the fuel is left behind. Only a very small amount of oil gets, beside the fuel Vapor, sucked into the engine.

Stefan

Thank you stefan. So does this mean the engine will lack lubrication? Does anyone have any experience with nitro fuel and vapour carburettors?

Not sure what engine you using
If it's like model a aircraft engine the nitro is normally mixed with methanol and oil
Just mix in 10% , 15% or what ever you want
The engine will have more power and run cooler with nitro mixed in
But if that's not what you are doing then forget all that 😀

Michael

Last edited:
No experience but no, the oil won't vaporise like the fuel will so it will be running with far less lubrication. I would also suspect potentially different vaporisation rates between the methanol and nitro so that ratio may change as well.

Thank you stefan. So does this mean the engine will lack lubrication? Does anyone have any experience with nitro fuel and vapour carburettors?
Hi Andy
Yes it means the engine will lack lubrication. In case of a Nitro engine I would not recommend a Vapor carburator, because they need between 10 and 15% of oil. Vapor carbs a mostly used for gas engines not running unter load or high rpm's. In case it's a Nitro engine I would always prefer a liquid fuel carburator.
Stefan

Thank you all. This helps me greatly.

Andy

Back