Valve troubles

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Paso_Kid

Reaction score
My Grandfather purchased this on eBay in a group of steam engines. All needed some degree of work. I managed to fit the issues with all of the other engines except for this one. The valve is missing and I was wondering if anyone has this engine or has plans for it as I would like to see how they made the valve. I have made valves for other engines that were missing and with no plans with success. I am currently using wooden dowel rods making valves in an attempt to figure out what will work for this engine.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 199
I'm not sure if the intake ports are to specifications, as you can see in the photo they are quite large. I've never encountered intake ports that large before. The problem is that the space in between the intake ports for the upper and lower cylinder are closer together than the stroke produced by the eccentric. On the driving cylinder a sleeve was inserted with what I would consider normal sized port holes. I'm thinking that I might have to do the same for the valve cylinder so that I could both reduce the size of the ports and space them further apart. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Google Books and look for Popular Mechanics Jan 1963. In table of contents look up page 142. For the continued build go to Popular Mechanics Feb 1963. This may be the type valve you need.

Go to Google Books and look for Popular Mechanics Jan 1963. In table of contents look up page 142. For the continued build go to Popular Mechanics Feb 1963. This may be the type valve you need.
Thanks for the information. The attached photograph is the first steam engine scratch build that was started by my Grandfather. I still recall spending many hours in the basement of the main library in El Paso, Texas where the periodicals were housed as my Grandfather was looking through old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines some 35-40 years ago and this was one of the plans he photocopied at that time. He started the build completing the cylinder, frame, and a few of the parts. For some reason he set it aside and it stayed on a shelf in his old workshop for a number of years. He built another larger workshop and moved his lathe and other tools to the new workshop and the old shop became storage. That steam engine sat on the shelf for probably 20 years, in the mean time he started and completed many other steam projects. He eventually took it off the shelf and with my assistance we completed the steam engine.

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 164
I built two from those plans. I run one on steam and one on air. Not much power but were fun to build.

Back