valve seat cutter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I thought you might like to see how I overcame the dreaded leaky valve seat problem. It always seemed like I was struggling
with getting my valves to seal on my IC engines. I decided to make a valve seat cutter by using a piloted counterbore, the kind with removable pilots. The cutting edge was ground on an OD grinder using a dummy pilot
with a center drilled into the end to be able to place it between centers. The cutting edge was ground to 45 degrees and then relieved by hand using a grinding wheel. Final sharpening was done by hand using an india stone. For the most part
my valves now seal with no or very little lapping. If you attempt to make a cutter like this, it could be done on the lathe
using a tool post grinder, but be careful. When cutting seats, the cutter shouldn't be run very fast and shouldn't be allowed to dwell too
long at the bottom of the cut. I normally only cut my seats to .010 -.015 width. The cutter can be used on different
size seats and by using removable pilots it can be used on different valve guide diameters. I hope this will help you with your
projects. Bye for now , and remember to work safely. Dave
100_0662.jpg

Hello Dave, Thanks for posting, looks like a good idea. Hav to deal with some leaky valves. Regards, Earl

Back