vacuum for use on a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a vacuum attached to my drill press but my lathe is next. I use a short length of 2.50 Inch Loc-Line and nozzle on the end. Very effective. I think with the lathe, the long stringy stuff would go up the tube but the jumble in the tank at the end of a long job would be something to behold I'm sure. I have a Dust Deputy on my CNC router and I would never live without it in that application but I don't think a metal lathe would treat it so well. ( A wood lathe for sure. )

View attachment 116734
I needs to do something on this order. I have severe reaction to any fumes produced from turning.

Richard, you might also want to consider not just something like the Loc-line but also putting some distance between the lathe and the vacuum. In Canada, we have Lee Valley Tools where I get my clear vacuum lines to run along the walls / ceilings. You should be able to easily find this in Seattle or at Grizzly Tools in Bellingham. I get the Loc-Line from KBC Tools here; you also have KBC in the States. And, if it's the fumes, perhaps some sort of filter ? A Dust Deputy to grab the solids and then a filter down stream to pick up the fumes ?

Lee Valley Tools dust collection

Richard, you might also want to consider not just something like the Loc-line but also putting some distance between the lathe and the vacuum. In Canada, we have Lee Valley Tools where I get my clear vacuum lines to run along the walls / ceilings. You should be able to easily find this in Seattle or at Grizzly Tools in Bellingham. I get the Loc-Line from KBC Tools here; you also have KBC in the States. And, if it's the fumes, perhaps some sort of filter ? A Dust Deputy to grab the solids and then a filter down stream to pick up the fumes ?

Lee Valley Tools dust collection
It's the fumes from oil coolant. I'm looking at a new lathe which will have spray oil/water coolant capabilities which will do away with the problem completely. Even so, a vacuum system is always good.

I'll be interested to hear how you make out; please let us know. I've read that the mist from some sprays can be an irritant so I think the vacuum will help there as well.

The vacumm is better air for cleaning
The air will blow chips in to bearing
In my shop the air was band for cleaning lathes and mills

Just rebuild a machine tool and find chips ever where

I use low cost shop vacumm

Dave

The vacumm is better air for cleaning
The air will blow chips in to bearing
In my shop the air was band for cleaning lathes and mills

Just rebuild a machine tool and find chips ever where

I use low cost shop vacumm

Dave
That's sort of what I was thimking. A cheapo vac, the only prob with them is the noise, is there a solution for lower noise? I was thimking maybe a squirrel cage blower used as a vacuum--One doesn't need a LOT of vacuum, just enough to suk up some air/fumes. "Unfortunately" I have a collection of all sorts of squirrel cages. Also, we have a local junk dealer who has various junk all the time, can get a squirrel cage from him and he almost always has exercise machines junked--I mention that because I bought a powerful DC motor from him last year but didn't thimk to take the controls too. Someone on this forum, I thimk, told how they used it as a variable speed for thier lathe or mill. Cool

Stringy swarf clog the vacuum in a hurry. They are not going to stay parallel but will coalesce, clump and tangle like a bunch of springs. I collect all the long stringy by hand and then vacuum up all the short chip.

Stringy swarf clog the vacuum in a hurry. They are not going to stay parallel but will coalesce, clump and tangle like a bunch of springs. I collect all the long stringy by hand and then vacuum up all the short chip.
Yes, of course. I'm only trying to keep the air clear of fumes that causes bad asthma attacks with me.

just put the vac out side and use a long hose

Dave

That's sort of what I was thimking. A cheapo vac, the only prob with them is the noise, is there a solution for lower noise? I was thimking maybe a squirrel cage blower used as a vacuum--One doesn't need a LOT of vacuum, just enough to suk up some air/fumes. "Unfortunately" I have a collection of all sorts of squirrel cages. Also, we have a local junk dealer who has various junk all the time, can get a squirrel cage from him and he almost always has exercise machines junked--I mention that because I bought a powerful DC motor from him last year but didn't thimk to take the controls too. Someone on this forum, I thimk, told how they used it as a variable speed for thier lathe or mill. Cool

Instead of a vacuum, have you thought of a pressurised mask that draws air from elsewhere and gently blows it over your face?

Lots of goo ideas. I will have plenty of time to work up a solution. If I'm lucky, I will be able to get that new lathe this year, then I will need a solution if the spray is an irritant, which, frankly, how could it NOT be?

Kitchen cooker hood. This is exactly what they're designed for (removing fumes), they're quiet, usually have a handy light in them and perfectly functional ones are thrown out whenever someone falls for 'shiny new kitchen' marketing.

Kitchen cooker hood. This is exactly what they're designed for (removing fumes), they're quiet, usually have a handy light in them and perfectly functional ones are thrown out whenever someone falls for 'shiny new kitchen' marketing.
Whoa, goo idea, and occassionally one sees these at garage sales and more often at the scrap yards. THAT I will keep an eye out for. Thanx

It would great
But the cost is hight.
A simple bathroom or kitchen fan from Home Depot will work and under $100.00

I used vacuum for chip removal and if put vacuum outside it quiet too.
Then only the neighbors CAT 🐈 will be mad at the sound

Dave

How about the portablenextraction that welders use!

Latest posts

Back