V8 CASTINGS

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe J DiMarino

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a casting kit for a v8 engine would prefer Challenger v8 . Anyone have anything they would like to sell ? Thank you all very much .

I am looking to purchase a casting kit for a v8 engine would prefer Challenger v8 . Anyone have anything they would like to sell ? Thank you all very much .
If you are interested in a supercharged V8 kit, I believe Dwight Giles has one last set of castings for the Black Widow V-8 to sell. Here is a link to a video of the first Black Widow by its codesigner, Ken Hurst:
Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you Dwight's phone number. He does not use computers.

If you are interested in a supercharged V8 kit, I believe Dwight Giles has one last set of castings for the Black Widow V-8 to sell. Here is a link to a video of the first Black Widow by its codesigner, Ken Hurst:
Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you Dwight's phone number. He does not use computers.

Have one to sell?
Sell now

Cole Power Models "Challenger V-8" Casting Kit and Finished Parts This is on ebay for sale now. Aug. 30, 2023​

The seller is well known in the model engine industry as the former owner of Lancer engineering who sold Wall engine kits to Cole Power models.

Have one to sell?
Sell now

Cole Power Models "Challenger V-8" Casting Kit and Finished Parts This is on ebay for sale now. Aug. 30, 2023​

The seller is well known in the model engine industry as the former owner of Lancer engineering who sold Wall engine kits to Cole Power models.
The casting kits are now sold by Martin Models. He has, I believe, cast another round of sets.

Attachments

• IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice pattern set.

I have also seen a complete V-8 pattern set to include the intake manifold, cylinder heads, block, and a lot more, all done on a hobby level, and cast in gray iron.
Most impressive work, and I think all by trial-and-error.
I am sure many have seen this individual's engine at NAMES and other shows.

It can be done.
Aluminum would be easier to cast than gray iron.

Below are photos of the home-cast V-8, which he made castings in both aluminum and gray iron.
I forget the name of the individual, but I will give photo credit when I can think of it (these are his photos).

Edit:
The only identification of the individual who cast the V-8 below is his screen name "ESC", and he is from Reno, Nevada.
Ironman knows this guy; perhaps he can give us a name.

block.jpg
block-1.jpg
Head cores.jpg
head.jpg
head2.jpg
PA210214.jpg
PA210217.jpg
PA210225.jpg
patternsandcomponents.jpg

Last edited:
Those heads and manifold are wicked . Wonder how he made the sand core for the heads .

I remember the screen name "sandcrab".

He has described how he did it all over the years, but unfortunately one backyard casting forum went under, and all those posts were lost.

He got on a second backyard casting forum, and posted some things, but I don't think nearly as much as the first forum.

He either used sodium silicate cores, or linseed oil cores, and I can't remember which (maybe he tried both).

I think that last photo shows both the patterns and the coreboxes.
I have not studied it in great detail, but I think that is correct.

It is what I would consider a brute-force method of making an accurate V-8.
I think he did it before 3D modeling and 3D printers were a big thing.
Patterns and core boxes were how they made the molds back in the day, but things are easier now, depending on exactly how you define "easier".

These days, it would make sense to create a 3D model, 3D print it (perhaps using one of those filaments that burns out completely), and use the investment casting method.
Another method that could possibly work would be the lost-PLA method, which is basically investment casting I think.

And ductile iron would be perfect for casting a crankshaft, but I can't find any nickel-mag.
Nickel-mag is out there, I just can't find a source for a small amount.
Sort of like trying to buy coke (coal heated in the absence of oxygen) when I first started trying to melt iron.
I could easily purchase a truckload of coke, but I could not find a bag of it anywhere, and I looked everywhere.

Edit:
Sometimes people make coreboxes when they are not required.
You can ram a pattern like that bell housing, making the cope first, then the drag, and just pull out the pattern.
It looks like he made a pattern and a corebox for the bell housing.

Check out those headers; very nice work.

The intake manifold and heads are where the investment casting/lost 3D print could save you a lot of time and effort.

It can be tricky to get gray iron hot enough to fill such intricate molds.
I seem to recall he used old radiator iron, which has phosphorus in it to greatly increase fluidity.
Supposedly the phosphorus iron does not make good engine block material, but judging from his results, this may be a myth, at least at a model engine scale.

Last edited:
Back