V4 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after information on a V4 crankshaft configuration. Does it only have two throws(two rods per throw)? Are they 180 degrees apart?

For an even firing pattern, what angle is the V in the block? I'm assuming 90 degrees, but I'd like to make sure first.

Thanks all

Andy

Hi all

I'm after information on a V4 crankshaft configuration. Does it only have two throws(two rods per throw)? Are they 180 degrees apart?

For an even firing pattern, what angle is the V in the block? I'm assuming 90 degrees, but I'd like to make sure first.

Thanks all

Andy

I built the peewee . It has a 90 degree v and does not fire even. About the only way to get a four to fire even is make it an inline four or a boxer. Might be able to come up with some funky craank throw angle but I would have to sit down and see if that would work.

Yes the crank was two throws, 180 apart.

Thank you all.

Is it an odd firing pattern because some cylinders are seperated by 90 degrees or 180 degrees?

If you consider each 'set' of 2 pistons on each throw, they're separated by 90 degrees and 270 degrees. Then the other set is 180 degrees out from those two. With only 4 pots to choose from, there's no way to even out the shots so I think that's what gives the 'lumpiness' that sounds so sweet.

Latest posts

Back