v4 crank

Discussion in 'HMEM Forum Support & Suggestions' started by Dave pointing, Aug 24, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Aug 24, 2018 #1

Dave pointing

Dave pointing

Dave pointing

hi all new here have been having a look around for some info on building cranks i am currently trying my hand at building a Frankenstein engine using old 2 strokes starting with a v4 all roller bearing bottom end i was wondering if alloy would would be suitable in a pressed crank or should i stick with steel. it's a cost v supply type issue

2. Aug 24, 2018 #2

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

Welcome Dave. I think you'd be best off sticking with steel. The crank is a high load component and needs to be strong. I'm not sure I've ever seen an aluminium one (if that's what your talking about). If it's a steel alloy you mean then that depends on the alloy.

3. Aug 24, 2018 #3

Dave pointing

Dave pointing

Dave pointing

that's what i thought just seeing if any one had had any luck with a aluminium crank. still finding it hard to source reasonable priced steel bar

4. Aug 24, 2018 #4

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

Bohler metals were reasonable last time I used them, or you can try a 'mystery metal' from a scrap yard or similar. Alternatively, see if you can find a local farmer and make friends with them - they often have large stock piles of scrap and old machinery that is full of useful raw materials. A carton of beer in the right hands can buy a lot of 'junk'.