V12 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For many builders it's about building it, not having one. Getting out in the shop and making something instead of wasting my life in front of the TV set is why i'm into it. Guy's tell me I have too much time on my hands. I tell them that there is 24 hours in my day just like their's. Most of the people who say that waste a lot more hours watching TV than I spend in the shop. They choose to spend 150+ dollars a month on cable TV. I would rather spend that 150 bucks on material and cutters.

Satisfaction and enjoyment of knowing you made it your self

Amen

Nothing like the sound as when they start

Hello I want to know how your ignition system works. I am building a straight 4 engine and the only thing I cannot future out how to do is the distributer and ignition system. Would be great if someone could teach me how to build or buy an ignition system.

Thanks

Wow looks really nice! What part of Ohio are you from? I'm in the akron/canton area

Hello I want to know how your ignition system works. I am building a straight 4 engine and the only thing I cannot future out how to do is the distributer and ignition system. Would be great if someone could teach me how to build or buy an ignition system.

Thanks
Currently doing a write up on just that.

How is the crank lubricated........cant get my head around how it didn't just seize up with an open crank case and what looks like no way to lubricate all the bearings.

How is the crank lubricated........cant get my head around how it didn't just seize up with an open crank case and what looks like no way to lubricate all the bearings.

I imagine a quick oil up before each run would be more than sufficient.

Great job.....

If I build something I plan on putting it to use. I worked on Electronics talk about getting the satisfaction from what you build. But I still won't build it unless I plan on putting it to use. All the engineers and inventors didn't build what they built unless they plan on putting it to use. Steam engine, gas engine, radio's etc.... All put to use. point made.

What's your definition of "use"? I had 50 people standing in front of my table at the Detroit Autorama. All looking at the tiny V8 engine thinking it was a static display. I know that because most of them told me they had never seen a motor that size run. When I fired it up 90% of those people were smiling, elbowing each other in the ribs, and high 5ing each other. Most told me how happy they were that I brought it there and that it made their day. There is no more "satisfaction from what you build" than making a large group of people smile. That's my idea of "put to use". Just saying.

The definition of 'use' is a fairly broad one. Last year I used a 3D printer, some cheap servos and an Arduino to construct a robotic arm whose only real 'use' was to introduce one of my daughters to the ideas of problem solving and coding. I still consider it time and effort well spent. And it made me smile and kept the brain matter ticking away at the same time.

I doubt I'd ever consider putting one of my engines to any real work, especially something with many hundreds of hours of build time into it. I can't see the point of powering say an RC car with a scratch built V4 or V8 (which cost a lot in terms of time and money) when a $100 commercial nitro engine will last longer and develop more power. The V-engine will sound nicer and be undoubtedly more 'cool', but won't do the actual job as well and will probably be destroyed quickly. If the 'cool' factor is the driving design choice, then it's back to just as cool running on a bench-top but with the benefit of being able to see it better.

Latest posts

Back