V-twin ignition systems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danallen

Reaction score
As my Farm Boy engine nears completion I am looking ahead to my next project. I am considering a Hoglet V-twin. Since Roy at cncengines is scaling back his business are there other systems that work? He says he will continue to make his cdi systems as long as he is able but I don't want build an engine and not be able to finish it.
Thanks - Dan

Hi Dan, I'd love to build one of those. I'm working up to it. Regarding the ignition I wouldn't worry too much as there are a number of commercial options and plenty of schematics if you want to have a go at building your own. Also there must be a manual contact-breaker option too ?

Take a look at the link below. I have the single cyl version running my Webster and it works well + not too pricey.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Model...508894?hash=item2890f2955e:g:g~0AAOSwDwNeexHI

Hi Dan, I'd love to build one of those. I'm working up to it. Regarding the ignition I wouldn't worry too much as there are a number of commercial options and plenty of schematics if you want to have a go at building your own. Also there must be a manual contact-breaker option too ?

Take a look at the link below. I have the single cyl version running my Webster and it works well + not too pricey.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Model...508894?hash=item2890f2955e:g:g~0AAOSwDwNeexHI

X2 on this ,I made several Hoglets and these work great.
Ron

I put my own ignition system together for my twin cylinder mini hog. It has worked very well.

When I built my own Vtwin engine years ago I had a dual fire coil that Jerry Howell was selling at the time and used it as a waste spark ignition. My timer (trigger) is a Hall transistor with a steel disc with 2 windows. I used it for years until it eventually went bad. In searching the web I found a supplier in England that sells the same coil. I don't remember the name but maybe somebody can jump in with the information. My ignition ar that time was the TIM 6.

I'm using a board I put together and 2 auto coil packs that I use a ballast to bring the resistance to 2.5 ohms. The whole set up cost about $15.00 and some time putting it together.

I'm using a board I put together and 2 auto coil packs that I use a ballast to bring the resistance to 2.5 ohms. The whole set up cost about $15.00 and some time putting it together.

I tried your coil setup on a 3v7 lipo without any balast resistors and it works fine.
As far as your 555 circuit which will fall over below 4v5, you could use the cmos version which will go down to 1v0.

Agree on the rcxel, I'm setting up the Lv uneven fire 90deg on my vtwin

In a moment of haste and poor judgement, I connected my S/S dual spark CDI system to a 12V power supply and let the smoke out of it. I'm using it on my Howell V-Twin. Any recommendations on the best replacement? I am NOT an electrician!

No idea what that refers to...
If you place some photos here it might be possible to direct how to repair.
3ECC10F3-84DA-4BA9-8779-AFFE590A5D8B.jpeg

I use one that I put together from scratch on my Mini Hog. I etched boards and assembled it for around $5 cost.

I suggest that you contact the guy who made your ignition for best advice. I'm sure you aren't the first person to have done this.
[email protected]

I use one that I put together from scratch on my Mini Hog. I etched boards and assembled it for around $5 cost.

Doc, I found original details of your unit and posted them here somewhere a few months ago.
Change I made was to run a Ford coil from a 3v7 Lipo rather than your 6v with no requirement for the added resistor bank, works well.

I suggest that you contact the guy who made your ignition for best advice. I'm sure you aren't the first person to have done this.
[email protected]
Roy is a really good person to deal with and as mater fact I did the same thing run too much voltage. I started making my ignition systems just to see if I could. I also wound some miniature coils just to see if I could. I thought Roy had closed up shop though. I liked his units before he started putting them in cases I think I have 3 or 4 from him.

Latest posts

Back