Using water to simulate molten cast iron.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let my runner(s) go past the mold cavity, and into a spin trap, and use gates at the top of the runner(s).

It takes a slightly larger crucible, but the entrained air and trash get swept into the spin trap before they can get into the mold cavity, and a nice hot flow is established prior to beginning the mold fill.

I get pretty consistent results with the spin trap on the end of the runner, and gates at the top of the runner.

And of course vents out the top of the mold (LOL, this is an inside joke between me and 100model).

I let my runner(s) go past the mold cavity, and into a spin trap, and use gates at the top of the runner(s).

It takes a slightly larger crucible, but the entrained air and trash get swept into the spin trap before they can get into the mold cavity, and a nice hot flow is established prior to beginning the mold fill.

I get pretty consistent results with the spin trap on the end of the runner, and gates at the top of the runner.

And of course vents out the top of the mold (LOL, this is an inside joke between me and 100model).

I think I kinda know what you mean by a spin trap ... but would love to see a picture or two!

Back