Using Silicon Bronze Brazing Filler Rods for boiler stays?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboatmodel

Reaction score
I was given some Silicon Bronze Brazing Filler Rods AWS Class CuSi-A, can I use them for boiler stays in small Boilers?
Regards,
Gerald.

Gerald,
Over time I've used quite a bit of bronze filler rod for miscellaneous staying but I don't think what I use is Sil brz. I'm just not sure, I can't locate an analysis for it. The only problem I've encountered is that sometimes solder won't flow as readily to the bronze rod as to adjacent copper so it needs to be scrupulously cleaned and well fluxed.

Gerald,

Having used all sorts of offcut bronzes for boiler making, the only one I ever had major problems with is aluminium bronze.

The safest way is just try to silver solder a small piece to some copper, I think you will find, it should join fairly easily.

If it solders OK, use it, if it doesn't, use it for bearing stock.

As far as I can remember, the silicon is in the mix to allow easier forging, so you can forge a rivet head on one end of the stay to make a little stronger joint.

John

Stuart,

I have successfully silver soldered ali bronze a few times, but as you said, not recommended for general purpose work.

I tend to use it for big end bearings and sometimes shaped con rods.

John

Latest posts

Back