Using CamCalc (or other) on a Mac?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard P

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently building a kiwi Mark II engine and now need to machine the cams - I want to make them harmonic. Unfortunately I am a Mac user and I'm finding it difficult to access the CamCalc application. Has anyone had success using this or another solution on a Mac computer and if so can you offer some pointers?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

@Richard P Can you provide a link to CamCalc? An internet search turned up a Microsoft Excel based spreadsheet:

http://www.buildandclick.com/html/camcalc.html
If that is what you want, you should be able to use it with Office 365 on the Mac.

Craig
Thanks Craig, but I don't think this is what I need unfortunately.

I'm looking for the CamCalc which generates a table of cutter heights that can be used with a rotary table to profile a cam on a mill. I did download this link but it seems to be something different.

Thanks for looking though.

R

Bingo!! I have finally managed to get it to run.

After much web searching I found that if you load a free Chrome extension called CheerpJ Applet Runner it allows Chrome to run old applications that require a Java extension.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, I'm not sure where you got your version of Camcalc but the link in this post will take you to the latest version that should not need Java. Rod originally wrote Camcalc and Ron put a web friendly version on his Modelenginenews site which is what most people try to use.

The new version can be run directly from Dropbox and does not even nee dto be downloaded.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=167843

Richard, I'm not sure where you got your version of Camcalc but the link in this post will take you to the latest version that should not need Java. Rod originally wrote Camcalc and Ron put a web friendly version on his Modelenginenews site which is what most people try to use.

The new version can be run directly from Dropbox and does not even nee dto be downloaded.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=167843

Without an account it is impossible to even download.
Anyone care to share their copy please?

It's free to register and a good way to share files that are often too big to attach on a forum

Even better Jason! That has done the trick as I was able to go to your dropbox location and access the spreadsheet. It's an improved version to the one I was looking at with a useful graphical representation of what the cam will look like. Thanks for the pointer!

Richard

Yes that's the problem with the one on Ron's site as he is no longer able to update it the old version remains. Also if you do have any Queries Rod can be contacted via ME forum

Good to know you accessed it without problem.

It does look like there may be a bug in the spreadsheet however.

The lift numbers look correct for the 1° increments but if you look at the 2 and 3° increments columns, those numbers do not match their equivalents in the 1° column. I did a quick cross check with the original CamCalc running on the Java and it reproduced the 1° increment column numbers.

I don't see a difference, I have marked the same increments on the three columns and all give the same reading

Attachments

• cam calc.JPG
    cam calc.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 82
Hi Jason, that is really strange. I downloaded the spreadsheet this morning and it was giving me inconsistent numbers (see attached). But having re-downloaded it, it seems to be working correctly. Very odd!

Attachments

• IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 67
It's free to register and a good way to share files that are often too big to attach on a forum

Ja - - - I KNOW its free to register - - - - but - - - its a pernicious beast and is very very very intent on harvesting as much about you as possible all to feed the ravenous maw for $$$$ now called the alphbits (sic) company.
As I don't like to feed that beast I must needs find another source therefore my ask.

👍 Your welcome.

Scott
The sharing here is what keeps me wanting to share from my experience.
Interesting bunch of beeples (sic) here - - - grin!

(Need to get my toys set up but that's got to wait for warmer weather!!!!!
It seems that I don't function outside at -20 or colder so good anymore - - - LOL)

Thanks for your help towards me making my first set of cams for my Kiwi Mk II! Despite a few fairly major run out issues with a cheap rotary table chuck, I was able to save the work and end up with a pretty good result for a first effort. Onwards..
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

Latest posts

Back