Using a CNC Mill as Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike N

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played around with using my CNC Mill as a Lathe. I mounted a right angle head on my vertical mill. Put my toolholder in the vise. After doing a X Y mirror of my program (the part moves, not the toolbit!) I machined a few sample test parts.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXQg1GtRLXt5hFiX7https://photos.app.goo.gl/5G5acELdtcQmU6Wr9Turned out pretty good.
The handles fit a Hardinge Lathe. 20220105_093719.jpg20220105_093625.jpg20220105_093410.jpg

Beautiful work! I've done similar using the horizontal spindle of my Deckel FP2NC. I hold the stock in an ER collet and mount a Habegger (Swiss, Schaublin clone) cross-slide on the table and holding a tool. My application has been to the ball ends on engine pushrods. I always have a hard time wrapping my head around the coordinate transformations when the tool and work roles are swapped from milling to turning.

awesome Mike! I tried it making some polycarbonate lens for an optical center punch doing that , couldn't get the finish I needed

I've been wanting to try this and have looked at dozens of videos on how to do it. But they are all a bit vague on how the programming is done. Or maybe I am just after more detail than the authors think people need. I would not be using a right angle head, so maybe that make it more difficult to program?

Rick

I do this all time with my small Emco. I like to gang mount multiple lathe tools and set a datum on each (G54, G55 etc) at the centre of the spindle.
For the programming it's X and Z just like a normal CNC lathe but you program X in radius instead of diameter.
Even the canned cycles like g83 work normally.
It's an excellent way to produce lots of identical small parts with very little effort.
Here is a short video

I do this all time with my small Emco. I like to gang mount multiple lathe tools and set a datum on each (G54, G55 etc) at the centre of the spindle.
For the programming it's X and Z just like a normal CNC lathe but you program X in radius instead of diameter.
It's an excellent way to produce lots of identical small parts with very little effort.
Here is a short video

That is REALLY cool! I gotta try this.

Ownthesky2010,

Thanks for posting this.

Chuck
I've been wanting to try this and have looked at dozens of videos on how to do it. But they are all a bit vague on how the programming is done. Or maybe I am just after more detail than the authors think people need. I would not be using a right angle head, so maybe that make it more difficult to program?

Rick
It should work the same, just ZX instead of YX. The tricky part is getting it mirrored in the right direction. I had to do a XY mirror of my program!!

Here is a short video

Super cool!

I once considered skimming some brake discs using the miller... it has the swing that the lathe doesn't have, plus low speed gear and torque for the large diameter. But there wasn't enough meat left for skimming, so I abandoned that idea...
But for limited applications it will work. Well done with yours!
K2

Latest posts

Back