Us machine tool v2 mill questions.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naiveambition

Reaction score
Have a shot at getting one of theses on the cheap, and was wandering if anyone out there has used them. ?
These are weighing in around 1100 up to 1700. Hard to get a definite answer, the literature is not clear, and tables came in three diff. Sizes smallest being 7x27, 8x32and8x36 I believe. The travels are missing from the paperwork so if anyone know them please post them.

Have heard so far that they are bad for climb milling , is this inherent in the tube design versus say a square column mill?

Would you choose this over a rf45 clone?

I still plan on cnc sometime and understand I will be on my own as far as design goes , though I believe it can be done.

Been reading reports on mills like crazy from benchtop x1 up to rf 45. Out of all the issues like, rigidness, speed etc.. The rf 45 is where most people stop griping about the machine and enjoy them , as well the 45 will need polishing to make a nice mill as the others do. Saying that the next stage is up to a knee mill, here the problems with the square column go away,. So that is where this mill came in to play. Same amount of travel, telescoping head, weight,, and I'm sure some rigidness. But my main concers are what I don't know, like

Can I change spindle taper to r8, some came like this but some were b&s no9 taper.

Are acme thread screws relatively a buy and cut to fit item.? They may or may not need it but just thinking ahead. I've never used a knee mill, but I don't want to miss this if it is a deal, 500 is the asking price, so with that compared to a rf45 clone I'm already a thousand $ ahead. The first pic is what it will look like restored and second is the actual machine.

Thanx for any info

image.jpg

with a little tlc should serve well in a home model shop.

Acme threads should be easy to find may need to machine ends.
if the lead screws are worn let me know size. I may be able to help .
Tin

Latest posts

Back